Two questions about wireless routers

Discussion in 'Wireless' started by nugget, May 3, 2004.

1. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Two questions about a wireless router.

1. can I use any wireless pcmcia card to connect?

2. if a wireless router is connected to a lan and has no antennae can someone still access it?

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

1. Well yes...provisionally. I assume you mean a WLAN PC card that's configured to have the same SSID as the router, be on the same subnet and such. I say "provisionally" because anything with the WiFi label should interoperate with each other but occasionally, they don't. As time goes on, it won't be a problem but best rule of thumb right now is try to use equipment made by the same vendor if possible.

2. If the wireless router has no antenna, it won't transmit very far and won't be able to receive much of a signal. If the wireless router is connected to a wired LAN by Cat 5, yes, it can be accessed like any other network device. If you mean can it's configuration controls be accessed, the answer is probably. Each vendor makes their equipment a bit differently so you'd have to read the instructions regarding access, etc...

I assume this isn't idle interest, nugget. What's the situation?

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Thanks trip, sorry that I didn't make it too clear with question 2. The thing is, I have a new adsl wireless router and as I know jack about wireless I just want to make sure nobody can access my server through the wireless connection. As I know nothing about it, I haven't configured it, don't have a wlan card or use the wlan function yet, but ......

It's not very likely that someone in my area also has a wlan as most of the people are oap's but I don't really want to leave it wide open. :cry:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
  4. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

does it support WPA?
    and you can specify on most wireless devices that they can only talk to perticular other wireless devices based on MAC address
    so that should help to lock it down somewhat

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Usually the rule of thumb is to make sure you have wireless connectivity, then lock down your WLAN as much as it is capable. This includes changing the default SSID (network name) and default password for the wireless router since both are well known (especially to hackers). Maybe your neighbors will give you nothing to worry about, but a wardriver with a laptop, WNIC, a cheap antenna, and netstumbler is all it would take if you're not careful.

Pheonix is also right about checking into whether or not your wireless router supports WPA and it most certainly should do MAC address filtering.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Thanks for the tips. I'll check it out later tonight.