1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Two 500GB HDDs..

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Juelz, Jul 17, 2016.

1. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Top Poster
    of the Month

Am I right in thinking if I had two 500GB HDDs, for it to auto move onto the second drive when the first drive is full I would have to go into disk management and create a span? so the two drives in many ways turn into one giving me a total of 1TBs in my system?

Certifications: MTA Windows Fundamentals, ITIL Foundation, Apple Mac Integration 10.12
    WIP: MTA Networking Fundamentals
  2. SimonD

SimonD Terabyte Poster Moderator

Yes but you need to convert the volumes to Dynamic and then span the volumes, personally speaking I would probably go for a single larger hard disk rather than spanning because if one of those drives dies, you lose the data from the spanned volume.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
    WIP: VCP6-CMA, VCAP-DCD and Linux + (and possibly VCIX-NV).