Twitter BCS

Discussion in 'Professional Associations' started by UKDarkstar, Aug 28, 2009.

1. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

The BCS is now on Twitter :

http://twitter.com/bcs

Tweet, tweet :p

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Everyones trying to tweet, but little do they realise, that are all tw@ts

Yes I know Im paraphrasing, but the sentiment holds true.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

I'm inclined to agree. I don't go near it myself.

4. Fergal1982

I'd link the penny arcade sketch which covers my feelings pretty well, but work block the site. Anyone care to do the honours?

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  5. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2008/4/23/

This one could be it, twitter sh***er? :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  6. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

Probably is tho' to be fair I don't suppose we should apply that to the BCS or any company for that matter - the vast majority of ordinary people maybe :p

7. Fergal1982

yep, thats the one I was on about.

8. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Interesting, I have a pretty large group of folks i follow on twitter
    none of them seem to be twats

seems this is a case of 'its in the media lots, so I'm not going to use it, I'm not a sheep baaahhh'
    I've been using twitter for years, long before it became 'adopted' and no doubt there will continue to be more and more lusers on it
    but the whole point is i follow who i want, so why do i care what a bunch of numptys are up to?

I recently gave a presentation on social media to a local school district (one that happens to block most access to social media sites) it's pretty scary the statistics on this stuff, and how big a deal it is likely to be, be it twitter, facebook, or some new player that joins the scene. 96% of my generation have joined a social network, it's a pretty sizable market!

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  9. Fergal1982

Rubbish! I have a facebook account. Coincidentally I also have a bebo account though I barely use it now that the novelty has worn off.

Its got piss all to do with sheepism, and everything to do with not seeing the point. First off, people are wholly uninterested in the things i do on a day to day basis, let alone in bitesize chunks updated by the minute. Likewise, there isnt a single person/entity I can think of that I am interested in following in the same manner.

Blogs, sure I can see the point. I even enjoy reading some. But then they can write a whole article about the subject matter. Not really interested in 'jst seen <insert new tech here>. its gr8!'

Its just utter tripe IMHO.

10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I've got a Facebook account as well. But I truly don't see a benefit to using Twitter. Eh, just my opinion.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  11. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

I've got a twitter account, I use it to read the occasionally amusing comments of a wealth of comedy talent. Still don't actually see the point but it gives me something to do on slow work days.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  12. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Don't use Twitter either, just facebook and LinkedIn but I can see why some people enjoy Twitter...

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA