TV advice required

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by rax, Oct 10, 2008.

1. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

Hey,

I'm currently looking for a good 32" tv. So far I've found this one: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/145218

Has anyone got any opinions or recommendations about this or anything else?

Thanks,

Dave

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, CompTIA Network+
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

They are pretty decent TV sets, but if you really want my opinion if you really want a good Hi def picture do not go below 37"

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. flounder10

flounder10 Nibble Poster

I have just ordered the 42" version of that TV which should be here in about 10 days. I have read a few reviews and the TV seems pretty good

WIP: Net+, MCDST, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA, CCNP
  4. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

If you guys have that kind of money to throw around I wouldn't mind a freebie. :p

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  5. greenbrucelee

me too :)

6. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

I have a slightly older 40" samsung and its ok. I cant tell what its like as i dont have a HD source yet. But i know in some profesional companies (ITV being one) they use Samsung TVs in thier suites. They have always come recommended when i ask about them, and mine is nice.

The main thing is, if your after a HD tv get one that does 1080p, not a HD ready one (Normally only 720), and one with a decent contrast ratio.

The one you have on ebuyer looks like it should do without getting expensive.

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  7. Dullage

Dullage Byte Poster

I recently bought this Philips HD, absolutely love it, figured AmbiLight would be a bit of a con but I'm now a believer :D

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network +
  8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Er <cough> why so?

It is more important to have HD on the larger screens because everything is larger including any fuzzy areas. The TV that the OP linked to is HD, so because it's not a giant size screen the picture will look great i'm sure.

I agree it's *nice* to have a larger screen but it isn't about picture clarity.. In fact i watch HDTV on my 22 inch Vista media centre in the kitchen and it's awesome clarity.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  9. Dubfire

Dubfire Byte Poster

Certifications: N+, 270.
    WIP: 291 then 284 for the MCSA.. ITIL...
  10. greenbrucelee

Well from working in the TV manufacturing industry (when I was at uni). HD TV was being tested and early models were roled out at that time for a lot of money, it was found that some people couldn't see the difference in HD and normal but that figure reduced when the TV size was increased. IT was found that a 37" screen was the lowest screen size for HD sets. I have a 37" one and my Mother has the same TV but 32" and it's definetly easier on the eye than hers.

11. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Some people maybe, but i can clearly see the difference and there is no doubt that HDTV is better and i am talking on a 22" screen. I was a TV engineer for many years.

Now, the point you seem to be missing even in your own statement, is that on smaller screens the difference isn't so great, i grant you that.. but, that doesnt mean the smaller screens produce a poorer picture, in fact, the picture is clearer than on a large screen with the same resolution.

So, if the OP wants a 32 inch HD TV, he will have a picture quality that is arguably better because it will be sharper than any model with a larger screen.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  12. greenbrucelee

Yep I understand that, I was just meaning to point out that some people can't tell the difference so somewhere in between small & big is better imo. It also depends on the panel quality too, sometime you can get a really good & bad 32" panel from the same manufacturer but that doesn't happen a lot.

13. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Ive currently got a 37" samsung HDTV in my bedroom. HD images are excellent on it. My only problem is that the menus on the tv can sometimes be slow or unresponsive, apart from that i love it.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  14. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I was thinking the same thing.

I was looking just today at the sizes of 3 available tvs with hd. I saw that the smallest size tv with 1920x1080 resolution was 94cm (no idea about inches, could be 32). The second was around 104cm with the 3rd being around 115cm, all having the same resolution. I realised then that people that bought the really large tvs are just suckers because as the size increases and the resolution stays the same the pixels get blockier and the whole picture looks crap.

I think the best result will be actually the smallest tv that will support the full 1920x1080 pixel resolution. Then you should be gauranteed the sharpest picture possible.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  15. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Your right there Nugg mate, the larger the tv teh larger the pixels. The idea being that witha lrger Tv it fits a larger room where you woud then sit further away. This is due to the fact that the larger teh TV the further away from teh screen is the optical viewing point for teh best picture. I did have formula which worked this out, but i do know that for a 40" tv the optimum viewing distance is around 3m, so any closer and you start to notice the pixels.

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  16. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

Thanks for the replies guys

I went ahead and bought the TV I linked but from amazon because it was a couple of quid cheaper. I got the TV this morning and it's pretty nice, I actually prefer the difference it makes to the livingroom's appearance (with a new stand) more than the larger picture or anything the tv has to offer.

Initially I have to say that the 19" crt(?) tv seems to have a better quality image but I'm not surprised by that, it's similar the crt monitors being better performers than tft/lcd ones and of course the size increase compared to resolution, pixels and input difference. I've not got any HD source yet though but I will be soon and I'm sure it'll be fantastic then.

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, CompTIA Network+
  17. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

The TV that I bought recently is a Samsung LNT4669 which is a 46" tv with 120h, honestly the HD picture quality is amazing on it. Playing games and watching blue ray is just insane of difference it makes over standard tv. I went from a 20 tube tv to a 46 HDTV and all I can say is wow. The thing is though when buying a tv like that you have to consider a few factors such as what will you be using your tv for? is gaming? or watching only movies? or both? the distance from the couch to the tv area, etc. I honestly probably spent a good 2 months researching tv's and luckily was able to pick mine up just last month.

David, your tv looks really good, I would probbably get the same one if I was going for that size. Enjoy!

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  18. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

I have this TV also, it is a great picture in HD or standard def, the only thing i was disapointed with was the sound, but i got a samsung surround system.

Certifications: MCP, MCSA, MCSA:M, MCSE, MCTS
    WIP: A few