Turning Off Remote Access On Router

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jackd, May 13, 2006.

1. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

I have a belkin 802.11g wireless router im setting up my own web server but this router is interfering. It has a option on it so you can access the config from anywhere on the internet. Does anyone know a way i can turn this feature off. Ive attached a screenshot of the configuration

2. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

lookin at the screenshot it appears to be off cos it says "Before you enable this feature" and also the box "Any IP address can remotely manage this router" is unticked. So as far as I can see it is disabled.

Have you clicked on More Info to check anything there just in case? But I think its off anyway.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  3. Lord Deckard

Lord Deckard Byte Poster

Don't know if it's anything like the Belkin I used to have before I took it back because the firmware was bugged and missing some features. I spoke to Belkin support several times and was assured a fix was in development. 4 months after I had returned the router they mailed me the new firmware :dry ...
    I would take a quick look at the Belkin site to make sure your firmware is upto date if you haven't done so already. Probably worth a quick google as well, someone may well have had the same problem. Which model router are you using?

[Edit: I promise you, I *can* spell...]

Lord Deckard.

Certifications: A+, MCDST
    WIP: N+ and CCNA
  4. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

Right i know its unticked but its only doing this on my ip address so i cant view my site. More info just says Remote Management Before you enable this function, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE SET THE ADMINISTRATOR PASSWORD. Remote management allows you to make changes to your Router's settings from anywhere on the Internet.
    Its model number is F5D7632uk4A

Cheers Jack

5. Lord Deckard

Lord Deckard Byte Poster

The exact same model of router that I got rid of so I can't help you! Looks like you've got an upto date firmware as the daylight savings tickbox appears to be working on yours. Just had a quick look on the Belkin site and I never even knew they'd released a V2 of the 7632uk4! Latest f/w for the 7632uk4 appears to be 1.00.09 and for the V2 is 1.01.10.
    Whats the problem you're having by the way? Is it a question of if you enter your external IP you end up getting the router management screen?

Lord Deckard.

6. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

Thats exactly the problem. My websites domain name points to my external ip address so it brings up the routers configuration

7. Lord Deckard

Lord Deckard Byte Poster

Have you by any chance asked someone else to try having a look at your site from their connection. Or possibly try using a dialup connection from your PC through a different ISP? What happens then?

8. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Usualy if you arrange to forward such requests to a machine inside, or to a DMZ then the router interface is no longer externaly visible.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  9. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

Thanks Harry Went to the virtual servers page added a web server and it now works like a charm!

10. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

Well now it doesnt work :hhhmmm. Ive attached another screenshot of my virtual servers page on the router

11. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Er - a few details might be useful. Which bit doesn't work? The forwarding, or the external blocking of access?

And what happens?

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  12. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

jackd,

Is your web server also your DNS server?

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  13. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Is there only one PC attached to the router, or is your server a different machine ? If so, how is it connected - wireless, by any chance ?

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  14. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Presumably your web server has got a fixed IP address that matches your virtual server setting?

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  15. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

Right the web server is not my dns server theres only one machine attached to the router by wire and thats my web server. Yes my web server has a fixed ip address to macth the virtual server settings

16. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

If you are testing internally (on your on network) and are using another PC (not your web server), what happens if you put the static I.P of the router (the internal I.P) and specify the port number? That would test the forwarding rule.

Put this into your web browser...

http://192.168.2.32:80

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  17. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

When i put that into my web browser i get the my web servers website

EDIT:Ive found a page on my router called application gateways. Would this need to be setup. Ive attached a screenshot

18. Sparky

What’s in the applications combo box? I would guess it would be some applications that use some unusual ports.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  19. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

In the app combo box theres just some stupid apps like quicktime and phone to pc

20. Sparky

Can you switch off remote management or even make it listen on another port? For example can you change it to listen on port 81? 8)