Turning down job interview

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Colloghi, Jun 9, 2008.

1. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

Morning all

Id like a little bit of last minute advice, ive got a job interview today set up by an agency after they saw my cv on one of the many jobsites. The position sounded exactly what i was looking for, and so I agreed to the interview. However over the weekend i was sent a full description an advice on how to conduct myself at the interview, and the description has put me off a bit, but the advice given, just dosnt sound really like a place that will help myself and where i want to go.

For example, it says if asked where i want to progress long term, not to use the terms such "more technical role" or "consultant position" or "manager /supervisory role", as apparently the company is looking for people who want to work their service desk a while.

Like I said my interview is today, im just wondering if i was call to cancel my interview, would it go against me with other employment agencies, I dont want to be blacklisted by job agencies, as this is the second interview ive canceled, due to misleading job description by a work agency.

Certifications: A+, MCP 270, 271, MCDST
    WIP: 290
  2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Well ultimately the decision is up to you, in future I would avoid agreeing to interviews without the full details. These are all common games agencies play, they could have quite easily have given you the facts earlier. Going to interviews for jobs you don't want is normally counter productive and a waste of everyones time and money, except possibly the agent who might even get commission on the number of interviewees...

3. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

I think ive learnt my lesson this time, I suppose the problem is with me seeking perrmanent employment over the temporary im doing now, suppose they just think meh he will take anything thats permanent.

Just canceled the interview now, and looking now I should of realised it wasnt what iw as looking for, Ill live and learn one day:blink

4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

All part of the learning curve mate, after the initial good feeling because there is the potential of a new job you need to look at the facts and decide if it’s a job you want to go for. You did the right thing cancelling the interview. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. disarm

disarm Byte Poster

I would have attended the interview just for the experience/practice.

6. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

I agree. You only knew what the agent told you, I'd have given the company a chance to demonstrate who & what they're all about.

Worse case scenario, you'd have got another interview experience under your belt.
    Best of luck in your career goals.

7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Dude, that's gonna be the case in just about every entry-level and lower-level tech job out there. Employers don't want to find, hire, and train someone, and then have to turn right around and find/hire/train someone else in 6 months because the first person moved on to a more technical role. Yes, you may very well be looking to progress into a more technical role... but you don't have to telegraph those intentions to the interviewer! Make them believe you'll be around a while. Get the job... and THEN focus on advancing. You can't build experience to advance if you don't even have a job to start with.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Couldn't have put it better myself.

9. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I would disagree with this, and here's why.

It took me a long time to find a job in IT, but I had long ago decided that just because everyone else plays dishonest games in the hiring process didn't mean I was going to lower myself to their level.

The end result is that I am working for someone who is honest, with me and his customers, and treats me like a real human being. Plus, I have the benefit of knowing I did things honestly even if 90% of the others weren't operating on that level.

A clear conscience is worth more than money any day of the week. I say stick to your ethics and don't play games just because other people do. You'll end up with far more respect for yourself and when you do find a place that really values honesty and integrity you'll get that job and be happy there.

Just remember a lie by omission is still a lie, no matter how anyone tries to justify the practice.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Unfortunately, that'll get your resume tossed to the "too risky" stack.

I never said you have to be dishonest; I would think you would know me better than that by now. I simply advise that you not show all your cards.

Pfft... my integrity is sound, and I can sleep well at night.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  11. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

If you know going into an interview that you are not going to be satisfied in that position for any length of time, and will leave the position as soon as you possibly can, concealing that fact, and leading an employer to believe that just the opposite is true by concealing that fact, is dishonest. It's a lie by omission, and by commission, as you deliberately left the other party with an impression which is not true.

If you want to convince yourself that is honest behavior, then go ahead and do that. No one can stop you from it. I, for one, will not trust anyone who does that with an employer because they will do exactly the same thing to me if it is in their own interest to do so.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  12. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Nobody stays in 1st line\call centre support for more than five minutes anyways. The managers expect that, at most they expect a year and when new people are brought in they are generally put next to the people with the most experience so they can learn as quickly as possible. There is a constant turnover of staff to keep wages at the lowest level possible just to get people in the door and no more than that.

When I started in first line the HR guy said I was over qualified but I told him I would stay for at least a year before looking elsewhere. He gave me the job but I landed a network support job 9 months later, I sent an email to let him know (I did feel slightly guilty) but he congratulated me and he said himself that he had landed a new job!

Perhaps once you are more established (with more experience) you can be more honest in what you want out of the job when in an interview. This can be because you have more experience and therefore know what you want out of the job (based on previous IT jobs) but if you are just starting out\have little experience then there will be hundreds of people applying for the jobs you are going for so you need to be clever in an interview. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  13. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

Thanks for the replies guys:)

I think one of the problems was for me, because nearly all the places, and paticulary the IT position I hold at the moment have been quite positive about my future ambitions, and I guess i kinda (a bit naive) assumed most places would be like that as well.

Actually this has come to bite me on my arse...........because Ive found out today, my position will more than certainly be gone within the next 5 months or so:(

better get brushing that CV:)