TS: Windows 7, Configuring - Passed

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by BC, Sep 3, 2010.

1. BC

BC Bit Poster

Despite feeling a little ropey from a wedding yesterday I managed to pass 70-680 this afternoon in Manchester.

I won't give any details about the exam as I have always found it better to go in "blind" i.e. with no knowledge about how many questions, sims etc.

If you know the subject, you'll pass.

My main preparation was through the Microsoft book which, as people reveal in the Amazon reviews, is full of some pretty serious errors.

It took a fair amount of digging around on Technet in order to be able to complete the imagex, VHD and bcdedit-related practices as the given instructions were wrong - probably due to lack of proof-reading.

However, it all helped to cement the concepts in my mind.

I shelled out for a Technet pro subscription so I had Windows 7 Ultimate to play with.

As luck would have it I had learned one particular subject thoroughly as it involved a new technology in Windows 7 but I didn't get any questions on that topic.

Curiously I also got some questions on subjects that hadn't been covered in much depth in the book but were, looking back, covered one of the "Suggested Reading" articles given. So it might be a good idea to read through any suggested articles and not just neglect them as I did. Won't be doing that again!

I've done all three client exams now - XP, Vista and Windows 7 - and I would recommend that anyone thinking about which to do should probably disregard the Vista one (70-620). Then again, if that's what you use at work then you should probably do it.

I heard from one of my colleagues on another account that they're just doing a 2000 to Vista migration! Apparently the plans were too far in progress to change to Windows 7 so there are big companies still using Vista.

My score was 783 - not brilliant by any stretch of the imagination but a pass is a pass.

Best of luck to anyone taking an exam in the near future, the couple of seconds whilst the screen goes blank as you wait for the result always gets my heart beating and I've been there 11 times now. When you see you've passed it's all worth it.

Certifications: MCP, MCSA:M, MCSE, MCTS
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

perhaps the alochol helped settled the nerves and allowed your knowledge to sail through?! well done!

always found the ms press books a bit dry, although have found them to cover the entire exam content - including mistakes!

bottoms up!

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Congrats!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Congrats fella! :D

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  5. ChrisH1979

ChrisH1979 Byte Poster

Congrats :) . I am having a bash at this next month. It will be my first MS exam since I did my MCSA in 2003 :eek:

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA, MCTS:Win 7, Application Infrastructure
    WIP: MCITP:EA
  6. csx

csx Megabyte Poster

Congratz!

Certifications: A+, Network+, 70-271 & 70-272, CCENT, VCP5-DCV and CCNA
    WIP: Citrix
  7. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

Congratulations!

8. reddevil12

reddevil12 Megabyte Poster

Congrats mate :thumbleft

Certifications: a+
    WIP: 70-270 / 70-680
  9. Killian

Killian Byte Poster

Congrats on the pass BC. :)

Certifications: See sig.
    WIP: Everything!
  10. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Congrats!

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  11. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Congrats on the pass :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  12. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Congrats mate. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  13. purana

purana Nibble Poster

Nice work. Congrads.

I've done both 70-620 and 70-680. I thought Vista (620) was seriously harder. What do you think?

Certifications: MCTS x 6, MCITP x3, ITILv3 Foundations, LPIC-1, LPIC-2, Novel CLA, CommVault Simpana 9
    WIP: MCITP: EA, RHCE, OEL, RHCVE
  14. simonp83

simonp83 Kilobyte Poster

Lol, the 620 was mortifyingly easy.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP
    WIP: 70-291
  15. karan1337

karan1337 Byte Poster

Congrats buddy!

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, MCTS, Brainbench: XP and Vista [Master]
    WIP: Bachelors:Computer Science
  16. TheITCrowd

TheITCrowd Kilobyte Poster

Congrats, Doing mine tomorrow :eek:

Certifications: Network + |CCNA |MCTS-70-680,MCTS-70-401, MCTS-70-656, MCTS-70-351 |HP AIS ProCurve Networking -2011 | HP2-896 |VCD-CP27|JNCIA |Hewlett Packard ASE - Network Infrastructure (2011)
    WIP: 642-813
  17. BC

BC Bit Poster

I thought both were difficult (I've never taken an "easy" MS exam). There were some crossovers on both exams but 680 had more enterprise type questions plus some more difficult concepts such as DirectAccess.

It's great to have a relatively young cert and as far as I know I'm the only person at work with a 7 cert.

Good luck tomorrow TheITCrowd! If you've used the Microsoft Press book and been through all the practices I think you'll be fine. As the book says, 7 has many new features which you should expect the examiners to ask questions on.

Certifications: MCP, MCSA:M, MCSE, MCTS
  18. steven88

steven88 Bit Poster

Congrats!!

Certifications: A+
    WIP: MCDST
  19. purana

purana Nibble Poster

I agree with you in that first paragraph. So true.

Meanwhile, yes I know I am the first person with this cert. No one in our Microsoft Team has the Windows 7 Configuration cert. Meanwhile, think I am also the first with the MCITP: SA too. Oops.

Certifications: MCTS x 6, MCITP x3, ITILv3 Foundations, LPIC-1, LPIC-2, Novel CLA, CommVault Simpana 9
    WIP: MCITP: EA, RHCE, OEL, RHCVE