Trying to understand work network

Discussion in 'Networks' started by TimoftheC, Jul 23, 2009.

1. TimoftheC

TimoftheC Kilobyte Poster

Hi all, not posted ina while (again) but can no longer ignore the red writing in the header telling me that fact every time every time I visit to read everybody elses posts!!

However, I do have a genuine question as I am trying to understand the network that my employer is using.

About 5 weeks ago I finally got out of the job hell that I was in and now work for a large public sector body but, unfortunetly, still not in an IT position.

I am now just a regualr user (no admin rights) and therefore my computer rights are limited but in an effort to understand the network around me, I started off by running IPconfig and found somehting that surprised me - they do not appear to be using DHCP.

Now, the organisiton has a very large commitment to IT with perhaps upwards of 1000 machines plus other IT equipment in a number of offices around the county and I fully expected them to use DHCP. The IP address assigned to my pc appears to be static (no lease information displayed).

Am I missing something?

Certifications: A+; Network+
    WIP: MCDST???
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

No, some companies still use static IPs for workstations. Not sure why, the last admin I spoke to said it was for "security" :rolleyes:

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. TimoftheC

TimoftheC Kilobyte Poster

That was quick sparky :ohmy

Yeah, the "security" issue I can understand and does apply here, but really, how can they hope to make any changes to the network info without it being time consuming and error prone. Even the best maintained network will eventually need updatinf or changin in some way?

That's why I'm wondering if there is something that I have missed or previousley failed to understand when reading about networks

Certifications: A+; Network+
    WIP: MCDST???
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

One thing to note, that not all the PC's may use static IP's in your organisation.

A good few years ago I use to work for a very large organisation over 15 sites, 4 VLAN's, 3 domains, etc... But for a couple of departments, we had to configure static IP's. For one of the departments it was a security issue, but for the other department it was a requirement of the system that they were using.

Why don't you ask your IT Dept?

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security