Try Windows Safari yet?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Percula, Jun 12, 2007.

1. Percula

Percula Bit Poster

Anyone else try Windows Safari browser yet:

http://www.apple.com/safari

It's really nice, not sure its enough to get me off Firefox permanantly yet, but for a Beta its been completely stable and I love the Mac'yness on my work pc!! It works quickly and neatly. I like the 'back to the top' feature too when you get lost

Certifications: None!
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Eurgh! Safari. :dry

And I'm a Mac user! I prefer firefox. 8)

3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If Firefox wasn't enough to make me switch (and I think Firefox is a fine browser), Safari *surely* isn't enough to make me switch.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Well we can't get safari woking on our wireless network on MACs so there's no chance of me swapping

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I'll give it a go, but as for mass deployment, I think not. I use AD to lock down IE :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Why is something like firefox which is free so much better than something like IE which you have to pay for as part of your OS.

I mean the 3rd day I had my pc before I got firefox I was casually browsing the net and got malware as soon as I got rid I downloaded firefox and have never had any intrusion since.

You would think that a company as big as MS would produce a browser that doesnt't resemble a tea leaf strainer wouldnt you?:D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

hmmm

I installed it, and within 30 seconds it crashed.. religously... end of safari..

I know it's a beta but hell, it's got a ways to go...

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: MCITP
  8. BosonMichael

First, because IE is free if you've legally purchased your Windows-based OS. I don't pay for IE at all, and I choose to run Windows, even though some distros of Linux are free.

Secondy, some sites don't work correctly with Firefox. Most do. Some don't.

Third, I can lock down IE with AD. I can't lock down Firefox.

Fourth, if you configure IE properly, and you implement some good old-fashioned common sense as to what Web sites you should and shouldn't visit, it's highly unlikely that you'll get infected.

Fifth, IE is going to be a part (and vulnerability) of Windows whether or not I use it. I don't need to install and maintain yet another app.

Thus... I have no compelling reason to switch. Firefox is a fine browser... but until Firefox does something IE won't that I absolutely, positively can't live without, or until I personally start having problems with IE exploits, I don't have the need to install and use Firefox.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  9. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Its just Firefox seems more stable to me, you shouldnt have to mess around to configure a broswer it should already do what it needs to without screwing up things on your comp. Thats just my reason for using firefox

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  10. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Really? Firefox is far less stable for me than IE - FAR less. They STILL haven't fixed the damn copy & paste bug - TWO GODDAMN YEARS!! and the latest build crashes REGULARLY during... let me see now... oh yes, thats right - posting on forums :biggrin

IE IS free (unless you are running Linux) - it comes free with the O/S. Whilst it is insecure - and I still use Firefox for most of my daily browsing, IE7 is as secure than Firefox - if not more so. It's also considerably faster and, as BM posted, try locking down FF in a corporate environment. Seriously, although I trust myself to use Firefox sensibly, I would never roll it out in a corporate environment - i don't want my users fiddling about with pre-fetch settings, proxy settings or anything else thanks - that's why my GPO for IE disables almost everything

For my money, Firefox still wins - but only just, and I am so pissed at the bugs that if they aren't fixed in the next couple of months, i am going back to IE for good :blink

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  11. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

You bought windows, you bought IE, you can't seperate them. A portion of the price of windows went to IE development (a small portion judging by the time taken to release IE7)

Since when did "Compatible with IE" become industry standard? I'm pretty sure some work in firefox and screw up in IE and even if they don't, IE compatibilty does not eqate to industry standard, or even an ideal to aspire to.

Valid for business users, not for the home user.

out of the box I'd say Firefox or Opera were less vulnerable then IE. activex anyone? *shudder*

so long as MS insist on it.

No RSS, no multiple tabs, no 'paste and go', crap zoom feature, the list of IE flops is long..

There are definitely better browsers around. Mind you, IE7 is a huge improvement

12. Rearl

Rearl Bit Poster

Certifications: A+601 602
    WIP: network+
  13. BosonMichael

I didn't buy Windows... I bought the Microsoft Action Pack, which happens to also contain Windows. However, if I did not use Windows XP, I'd *still* have purchased the Microsoft Action Pack. Thus, I paid nothing extra over-and-above what I would have paid anyway.

Don't ask me; I don't build Web pages for a living.

...and... most of us here support Windows in a business environment, or aspire to do so.

That's not the point. *I* can configure it to be less vulnerable, and this question was directed to *us*; thus, I gave *my* opinion as to whether *I* was switching. And I gave the reasons why not. If *you* decide to switch, that's fine by me. Firefox is a fine browser.

Hey, I'm *glad* Firefox came along so Microsoft would get a kick in the pants and implement all those features. But you know what? I don't use RSS, I don't need tabbed browsing, I don't have a problem with how pages display so I don't need zoom, whatever "paste and go" is, I obviously ain't missing, because I can paste whatever I want... Sure, IE7's an improvement, but me, personally, I wasn't missing anything. I can understand why OTHERS would be dying to switch due to IE6 not having what you guys were looking for.

14. BosonMichael

I've had the same experience as Zeb - it's less stable to me. The last time I gave it a try (mind you, this was pre-version-2 release), it either crashed or memory hogged on me. I haven't been back since.

Again, when Firefox gives me a must-have feature that I can't live without, or IE has a fatal bug that I'm extremely susceptible to catching, I'll probably switch. I'm open to switching... but I *really* don't see the need to do so.

15. mojorisin

mojorisin Kilobyte Poster

I use Firefox for most of my browsing needs although still use IE7 for some sites that are a bit funny with firefox

WIP: Microsoft 365 Identity and Services MD-100
  16. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I installed Safari at work (and one who use to for Apple...oh dear!!) and it asked for my username and password to go thru the proxy...when I entered the details it closed on me...so thats end of Safari on Windows for me...knew i shouldnt have tried it...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  17. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

thats exactly the problem I got... looks like it's a long way from being usable

18. fortch

fortch Kilobyte Poster

FF more stable than IE7? Yeah, right. Just add an extension or two, to utilize the much-touted power of FF, and have fun locking up every now and then, usually when using multiple windows. What's Mozilla's line? Don't use them (yup, even in the bug report). What's more, the cut and paste bug is still there (like zeb stated), and that's aggravating as well. Still, I like it enough to continue using it for home use.

As for web development, IE is the bane of all existence. I hate having to code for all web browsers, since they each use their own idea of what 'standards' are for. Still, IE is the worst for this, and they continue to ignore the W3C. While I'm certainly no professional web developer, that's a pretty universal thought process.

Certifications: A+,Net+,Sec+,MCSA:Sec,MCSE:Sec,mASE
  19. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

For me FF and IE are the same for "home" use. I use both of them from time to time and I barely have an crashes, in fact firefox hasnt crashed for me in weeks now. It happens once in a while but so does IE6 or IE7 crash too, its normal.

From a corporate environment point of view I always use IE because like a lot of you guys said its good for controlling and locking down. Firefox you cant do that.

I currently am using firefox because I like some of the extensions it has to offer and it works perfectly fine with all the sites I visit.

As for safari, I installed it and it looks like a nice browser but its far from being used as a permanent browser.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  20. Gaz 45

Gaz 45 Kilobyte Poster

I'm a little late to the party, I know, but I've just installed Safari (it came with the last iTunes update).

Have to say, I find it excellent, it's quicker than FF 2.x IMHO & I love the way it displays text (got converted to it by using my iStroke :biggrin)

I'd make it my default browser if I could figure out how make the middle mouse button open a new tab rather than zoom grr!

Gaz

Certifications: MCP (70-229, 70-228), MBioch
    WIP: MCDBA (70-290)