Troubleshooting Printers...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by westernkings, Apr 14, 2011.

1. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

I just wanted to peck your brains about troubleshooting printing issues. I know the usual stuff about updating drivers, reinstalling, remapping etc etc.

But specific issues like PDF Documents not being printed. Going into the queue, disappearing again but never coming out of the printer and that sort of thing.

Are these driver issues or printer properties issues? I'm not overly knowledgeable when it comes to Post Script Drivers and all that jazz as I rarely have to deal with it.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  2. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

How are they setup, is it a standard print server holding them as shares?

I usually restart the print spooler on the server for odd ones like that, and see how you go from there :)

Drivers are usually just to get the actual printer installed on the client machine - i run most of ours on PCL 5/6 - however, for some reason i've noticed PS works alot faster with some documents.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
    Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  3. westernkings

Installed on the server box. Can print PDFs from the server to the printer fine, but this one client can't. It goes into the queue and disappears like it has printed. But never materialises.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  4. westernkings

Turns out Acrobat X with the Protected Mode setting enabled causes problems. Disabled it and it works now.

Adobe working their magic as per...

5. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

I hate acrobat, will make a note of that resolution in case i hear of that problem in the future!

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud