troubleshooting internet......HELP!

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by nic81, Feb 22, 2009.

1. nic81

nic81 Bit Poster

I am going to start losing hair over this..... :(

Question: Problem is users on a network cannot connect though the shared internet connection. The users all have static IP addresses ranging from 192.168.100.1 to 192.168.100.10. What is the problem?

I think it has something to do with IP addresses starting with 192.168... and this being something to do with cable modem IP address...

Can someone please make sense of this for me, been trying to figure it out all day :(

Certifications: None for IT, workng on it
    WIP: MCDST
  2. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

Is this a home network? Are you use Internet connection sharing (ics) or just connect to the Router/modem? Why are you using 192.168.100 why not 192.168.0?

Certifications: MCP, MCSA, MCSA:M, MCSE, MCTS
    WIP: A few
  3. nic81

nic81 Bit Poster

This is a question on my assessment (i do the course through a college, and these help me with my understanding...typical) i have been trying to figure this out all day...

The question is as above....and it asks wot the problem might be, and i think its to do with the IP addresses 192.168.100.1-10. It says its an office not home.

Am i kinda getting there with the answer that its to do with the IP addresses?

4. nic81

nic81 Bit Poster

Oh its ICS

5. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I think you need more information than that... I don't see why you can't have 192.168.100.... network address?? what's the IP address of the router/modem? also ICS can work with DHCP...

Also, usually 192.168.100.1 would be your router IP address. Unless it's different. Would you happen to know what's the host computer's IP address is? and are you able to connect to the internet using the host? I find this question to be a little vague as they don't really give you much info and thus it's hard to diagnose.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  6. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

It is a bit vague, but has the subnet been set correctly. also does the host PC have 2 network cards?

Certifications: MCP, MCSA, MCSA:M, MCSE, MCTS
    WIP: A few
  7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Ok well by default a PC that has been configured for ICS will act as a DHCP server and hand out addresses in the 192.168.0.x range. The 192.168.0.1 address by default is assigned to the PC that ICS is enabled on (the host). This would be the DNS (proxy) and default gateway for all the other PCs.

Though it is possible to change the default address range of the ICS host machine, the question doesn't stipulate that this has been done.

The default subnet mask for a 192.168 network is 255.255.255.0 which puts the 192.168.100.0 network id in a logically different range to the default ICS host.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  8. del_port

del_port Byte Poster

This question you've highlighted is typcial of some of the exam questions by the way,i find these tough myself because i'm no use at networking.

Certifications: A+ and MCDST 70-271
    WIP: mcdst 272
  9. nic81

nic81 Bit Poster

These questions can be like this, i have questioned them with my tutor before as they dont give enough info to give a precise answer...

Thanks for all your help, what i'll do is check the question over with my tutor and get back to you all because i dont have any other information to help. I was assuming it had something to do with the IP address.

I'll be back tomorrow :)

10. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

As the others have stated, if they say shared internet connection I would assume that ICS is enabled (i suppose it could also be NAT on a 2k3 box but we will forget about that for a minute). ICS can only use 192.168.0.x so the other host will not be able to contact the "sharing" client. As before when ICS is enabled the "sharing" client also does basic dhcp duties so all statically assigned hosts should be changed to dynamic and use a 192.168.0.x address instead.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  11. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

If you are using ICS make sure the clients are setup for dymanic IPs.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  12. nic81

nic81 Bit Poster

Thanks, that's really helped :)

Dont u love it when the penny almost drops and you kinda know where ur heading with a solution :D still waiting on my tutor calling back but in the mean time i'm off to go look over some units, i think i may find the answer they are looking for...

:)