Triple booting time...

Discussion in 'Software' started by noelg24, Jun 13, 2006.

1. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

So I have finally managed to get hold of Vista 32 and 64 bit Beta 2. Woohoo.

However, till I have saved up enough dough to get me AMD 4400 X2 CPU, in the meantime what I will do is install XP Home along with XP Pro and Vista 32 bit Beta 2 on all the same system.

This can be done as a friend has done the same thing but with the 64 bit versions...and lets just say he is having a field day...the only thing that wouldnt get installed was the TV card...so I may just take my TV card out when installing my batch of OSes...anyone done any multi-booting with Vista yet? What did u think?

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

No, i would like a test machine to install it on though....
    What do you think of it so far?

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Not yet, but I just cleared off 25 Gigs worth of Virtual Machines to the network so that I can make room for it! :biggrin

Why do you want to run both XP Pro and Home? :blink

4. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Well very simple Si, I want to..and I know I can...its just to see how the machine handles all 3 and how stable they can be...

Boyce, so far I aint installed it, but will do either this weekend or sometime next week...so I will let u all know how all 3 OSes are doing on my baby....but the biggest test is when I get my AMD X2 and have 3 different 64 bit OSes...now thats heaven...:biggrin

5. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

Ive got a dual boot setup on my machine and it seems to run well. Quite fast and all of the devices got setup fine. Seems good :biggrin

Jack

6. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

right so I began the quest last nite...and have hit a brick wall so far...I reinstalled XP Home and then install XP Pro which worked a charm...however I only installed the motherboard, graphics and sound card drivers...on both OSes...so I decided to start installing Vista Beta 2...before this tho I had fitted a new SATA 250GB 16MB Maxtor HDD...and the machine recognised this after I installed the drivers and the software for it...but when I began installing Vista (from XP Pro by the way) it got stuck at 42% and said there was an error...incidentally before this it said there was a device that didnt have the updated drivers installed and this was for the SATA hard drive so I said to continue and thats when it got stuck on 42%...but I removed the drivers and the drive and I still got it stuck on 42%...when I tried to boot from the Vista disc itself it got stuck halfway thru gathering the files...so I dont know what to do now...it mentions Boot Manager when booting from the disc itself...I was wondering anyone else have any problems yet? I will check the MS site tho...

7. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

right I found this on the MS website in a forum for Vista and its exactly what I was getting: "At least one device driver that might be required to start your system is not available. Device with missing driver: Fastrak 6376 (or something like that) SATA." (I changed the description from the one on the site as mine is to do with my SATA. and then when I click on continue it would start installing then get stuck on 42% and says: "error code 80070241" (or something along these lines)...so I will keep checking for fixes and resolutions unless u lot got anything..thanks...

8. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I had the same problem when I installed the publicly available version. My solution was to rake out the one that I had received with Technet and install that one, which it did without any problems. So sorry, can't help! :rolleyes:

9. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

well I since re-formatted the drive and removed the SATA HDD and started again but no joy...I seen some forums where it was to do with having a ATA and SATA setup...but as I said same problem...some are saying it may be due to the speed the disc was burnt...well since I got this one off a friend its time to improvise...so will let u know how I get on...thanks...

10. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Right thought I would give a quick heads up...right now I am posting this using Windows Vista Beta 2. It took sometime but I managed to get it working...in this case I installed Vista on its own...obviously the drivers for my motherboard are not supported but otherwise its mint..and I am loving it...I will remove it and put XP Home and Pro and then Vista again so hopefully I will eventually get all 3 of them working 2gether....bye for now folks. :D

11. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

woohoo!!! I finalyy done it...altho not yet quite fine tuned but I now have XP Home and XP Pro along with Vista on the same machine...and I am happy...:D

12. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Well done Noel! So what are your thoughts re Vista so far?

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  13. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Bluerinse...in one word....WOW!!! I have since taken everything off...just installed XP Pro and Vista...both on seperate hard drives which makes things a lot easier...and I have to say I am very pleased with Vista...only snag is that I have to wait for Creative to release the Beta 2 drivers for the sound card I am using...and hopefully MSI to follow suit for the drivers on the motherboard...otherwise I am very pleased...:biggrin it has exceeded my expectation....

14. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Thanks Noel, glad you're enjoying it. I must admit that the GUI looks quite funky from what I have seen and I like the overall look of things. I am interested to know whether all the graphical features work with your setup, like aero etc?

According to the Windows Vista Upgrade Adviser app I ran, my NVidia GForce4 MX 460 doesn't support all of the features, in particular pixel shader 2, whatever that is :( Hence an upgrade to my hardware is on the cards, including a nice dual core CPU thingy and a hefty stack of RAM, before I commit myself.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  15. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

well my ATI Radeon 9600XT supports the graphical features...in fact ATI have released drivers for Vista Beta 2 so I know it will work fine...and it sure does...:biggrin