Transitive Trusts

Discussion in 'Active Directory Exams' started by Nelix, Nov 19, 2003.

1. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

Whats the difference between transitive trusts and non transitive trusts???

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  2. Cartman

Cartman Byte Poster

Hi Derek,

Think I might be able to jump in with this one. Transitive trusts are implicit.

Example domain A trusts B, domain B trusts C, so with transitive trusts this means by implication that domain A will also trust domain C.
    This is a Win2K thing - non transitive trusts were present in NT4 which meant you had to set up loads more trusts. In the above example you would have to explicitly specify domain A trusts domain C.

Hope I have got that right - sure someone will say if I haven't!!

3. Cartman

Cartman Byte Poster

Hi Derek,

Think I might be able to jump in with this one. Transitive trusts are implicit.

Example domain A trusts B, domain B trusts C, so with transitive trusts this means by implication that domain A will also trust domain C.
    This is a Win2K thing - non transitive trusts were present in NT4 which meant you had to set up loads more trusts. In the above example you would have to explicitly specify domain A trusts domain C.

Hope I have got that right - sure someone will say if I haven't!!

4. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

the way I thought it was that, Domain A can see Domain B, but Domain B cant see Domain A

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
  5. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Hi Derek, Cartman is right. In his example domain A will trust domain C and vise versa even though no trust has been explicitly set between the two. In a non transistive trust for instance a trust between domains in two different forrests, so say we have A, Band C in one domain from the first example and domain D from a different forrest, if you have a non transitive trust between B and D there will be no trust in place between A and D or C and D.

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  6. Cartman

Cartman Byte Poster

Straight from the horse's mouth (if you can see Bill G as a horse, lol)

Hope that helps....

7. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

This applies to a forest and not 2 separate domains?

am I right?

8. Cartman

Cartman Byte Poster

I believe so. As far as I can tell when trust exists between domains, if 'child' or 'sub' domains are created below them - they trust each other too within the forest. I think (emphasise THINK) the transitive element ceases when you are talking about two domains NOT in the same forest.

EG. Domain A has explicit transitive trust with Domain Z

therefore B.A (child of A) trusts Y.Z (child of Z)

I wish I could try it, but it's a big large scale for me network of 2 PC's...

If only humans were as trusting, the world would be a happier place!
    :whatthink

9. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

:whatthink

I think your right :!: :thumbleft

10. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Just for the record, here's what technet says.

Certifications: A+ and Network+