Transferring an OEM licence to another PC

Discussion in 'Software' started by michael78, Jan 3, 2008.

1. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Hi guys I'm thinking about buying a laptop with Vista on it but installing Ubuntu on the laptop and removing Vista. Can I install the OEM copy of vista from the laptop to my main desktop PC?

Cheers in Advance

Michael :D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I think I am right in saying (people can correct me if I am wrong) but an OEM license is for one machine only, you have to buy another OEM version to install it on another machine.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

For this case - almost certainly not. Most laptops don't actualy ship with Vista (or XP) media - instead they ship with restore disks which are tailored to the laptop. And nowadays they often don't ship with those either - you are given instructions on how to make them.

In addition - the license key printed on the CoA is restricted to the laptop - (look up System Locked Preinstall).

Harry. (Waiting to be proved wrong in this instance!)

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

man thought I could get away with it if I never used the copy of Vista. Ahh well I'll stick to XP until Microsoft come to their senses and release DX10 for XP (ooh look there's a pig flying :biggrin)

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  5. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Agreed. OEM licenses are tied to a single machine. You are licensed to use it on that machine alone. If you get the OEM disc from a supplier, then the machine is the first you install it onto (technically, its the first you activate it on), is the one its bound to.

However, Manufacturers will install and activate the OEM copy before it leaves the factory, so it gets bound at that point.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  6. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

The reviews I've seen so far on DX10 seem to suggest that the current crop of cards/drivers aren't really much good! :p

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+