transfering web domain IPs

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by twizzle, Oct 21, 2010.

1. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Okso i have a domain name www.abc123.co.uk. This was hosted on a server by fasthost. I've now canceled the hosting with them and want my web domain to be hosted on my own server (once sorted). At the moment the IP address on whois still shows the hosting companys servers. How do i get this changed to mine when ready. In work we use webmin to setup DNS for websites, but i'm sure we have to let nominet know we own the domain names, but dont quote me. SO anyone help?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
    Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  2. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

Did you register the domain via the old hosting company? If you did, do they offer to just hold the domain for you? If they don't you will have to request a transfer to a different domain registrar which will (I use 123-reg.co.uk).

The new registrar will most likely provide nameservers for your domain, which handles the DNS. You will then be able to specify DNS records to your preference!

If you purchased the domain through a registrar, then it should just be the case that you point the nameservers (if your new hosting supports it) or point the DNS records within your registrar control panel.

Give me a PM if you need any help :)

Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
    Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Ask for the domain to be released to your new domain hosting company with the correct IPS tag.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

When you say your own server do you mean one based in your house? if so do you currently have a static or dynamic IP address on your router? If it's dynamic (ie the IP address isn't registered on RIPE to you) you may have to look at a Dynamic DNS solution for your router.

It's not usually a simple case of hosting your own web server on a home server because the routers address usually changes.

I think you need to give a little more information here because my interpretation of your request is different from what the others are reading.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  5. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Your a bit more spot on than teh others. I want to host from home, i know i'll need dyndns as i dont have static IP from my ISP. Its just i dont know what to do to get teh registered domain name transfered from fasthosts to me. It was registered through them and initially hosted by them. Thats now been cancelled as i want to host myself. SO who do i call to change the rsgistered IP then how do i go about making sure it points to me?

Like i said, at work we use webmin to manage DNS zones and IP addressing for websites, but i have a feeling they have to call the registration company to change the ownership or something first.

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  6. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

As both me and Sparky said, if your domain was purchased through fasthosts aswell, you will need to transfer* the domain to an authorised domain registrar. One of these is 123-reg.co.uk, which offer a transfer for around £7 or something. You will then have a control panel to control your domain, which includes controlling DNS (as 123-reg also provide nameservers).

Then from what Simon said, through your DNS management page you can put a record to point to a dydns.org record, which can be updated to your IP by using the dydns app.

Simples!

edit: * Unless they offer a domain only (no hosting) control panel

Last edited: Oct 22, 2010
    Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yup, remember domain hosting and web hosting are different things 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs