Transfering VHS to DVD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by marcin_rys, Jun 14, 2009.

1. marcin_rys

marcin_rys Nibble Poster

Hi All,

Has anyone done this before? I'm looking for "device" which will let me copy old VHS movie onto PC (any format, but preferably DVD format).
    Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Cheers,

Marcin

Certifications: none
    WIP: MCSA, CCNA
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

How about Pinnacle Dazzle? That's suppose to be very good for doing that.

In the past I've used an old TV capture card with Windows Movie maker to turn old VHS into .avi's and then used Nero to convert them to DVD's. However it's a long process, will be buying the above in the future.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. marcin_rys

marcin_rys Nibble Poster

Just to make myself clear. I have old VHS tapes and I need transfer them into DVD. But I don't even have a VHS player so what I'm looking for is a device what I could connect to DVD Recorder/PC and copy it.
    I'm not sure if I could do this with regular VHS player (second hand are about £30). I have as well TV card but is only FreeView (Hauppauge Nova-T-USB2).

Or maybe using third party company will be the best option. They charge about £30 per VHS tape.

Marcin

4. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Yep - I've got this - I bought it for 99 quid. It's perfect for what you want - helped me salvage my wedding video (which was on the way out) and a whole host of other films that you can't get on DVD. Its awesome.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  5. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

I started doing this earlier this week oddly enough, with a WinTV PCI card I found in the bottom of a box. It's a basic analogue TV Tuner.

@zebulebu - Have you had any problems? That device seems to have some bad reviews.

6. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Why not just buy a VCR/DVD recorder combo? It's a unit you hook up to a TV like any regular VCR or DVD player, but you can put VCR into it, then a blank dvd, hit 'go' and it does it all for you. No faffing around with a PC then, easy. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

or if you have a dvd recorder then borrow a VHS player and get a scart cable thats how I did it but what Zeb mentions does work, you can get better ones but it just depends on what you want to spend. If you were doing a wedding video then any of the above will be fine.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  8. Ence

Ence Kilobyte Poster

9. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Nope. Mine's fine - works perfectly. People giving it bad reviews are either expecting the impossible (its VHS for christ's sake - you're not exactly copying from a spotless source with it!) Or just fall into the same category of people that 98% of the population fall into (too stupid to own a computer)

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  10. marcin_rys

marcin_rys Nibble Poster

I founded local shop around corner what is doing this service. It will cost me “only” £20 to do so. I drop my VHS this morning and will be ready for Friday. I have only about 2h to transfer. It seems to be the quickest (probably cheapest) option and hassle free.

Thanks for all your replies,