Transcender, Boson, Req

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by hippy, Sep 20, 2007.

1. hippy

hippy Kilobyte Poster

Hi,

Does the ex-sim from boson work with win2003 or Vista (ult)?

Does the practical tests from transcender work with win2003 or Vista (ult)?

2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I suppose you could ask your Boson question to BosonMichael and email support at Transcender for the other answer.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. hippy

hippy Kilobyte Poster

Both companies can take a little while to answer though :oops:

4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You think so? :rolleyes: Sorry, gotta disagree with you there.

Yes, ExSim works on Vista, and we have no reason to believe that it wouldn't work on Server 2003. If you'd like, I can personally test that for you. Just say the word.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. hippy

hippy Kilobyte Poster

Ok, well boson used to :P. Was a while ago though. If it works we have you have mail for a sale ;). Could you try it on win2003? I use a win2003 box as a download box and connect to it from work.

Cheers MIKE :D word word word :D :twisted:

6. BosonMichael

The current management of Boson purchased the company about two years ago. Things are definitely improving. :)

Just asked one of our other writers to start testing it... will let you know the results.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  7. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Thats what I call service, with that personal touch. :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  8. BosonMichael

Just a side benefit of being a member here. ;)

9. BosonMichael

UPDATE: The Boson Exam Environment (that ExSim uses) will not install on Server 2003 - an error comes up that says "Server installations are not allowed". Probably OS incompatibilities... but we have sent a message to the programming staff to see if this is something that can be corrected.

10. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

Might be a sales issue. Installing on a server might give the option to run multiple threads using Terminal Service. Could be it checks just to prevent this. Norton AV does the same thing.
    OS-like I see no objection not to run the software.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  11. BosonMichael

It's typically sold as a single-user license - not one user at a time, but one user, period. Therefore, we wouldn't even want to provide access to multiple terminals.

For the record, every legit practice exam provider has those same licensing restrictions. :)

12. hippy

hippy Kilobyte Poster

doh doh doh...

How about Vista (x64), Mike?

13. BosonMichael

Hm! Good question... we don't even have that set up in the lab... let me see what I can do.

14. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

That's what I mean to say. You don't want it to be installed on a server. I wouldn't want my product to be installed on a server:biggrin

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  15. BosonMichael

Ah, gotcha. I thought you were saying that it could be a sales issue (meaning, we could get less sales because it doesn't work on Server OSes), so we should consider providing server-based access. :) But now I understand.

16. hippy

hippy Kilobyte Poster

Transcenders response :D

I know it doesnt make sense but for some reason the capability mode does effect our software and that is the setting we found to work.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent: Friday, September 21, 2007 8:07 AM
    To: Customer Care
    Subject: RE: Send Feedback Response - Product Information

Hi,

To make it run in MS Vista i have to make it run in compatibility mode for win98/ME ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Subject: RE: Send Feedback Response - Product Information
    Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 07:56:45 -0400

Yes but you need to make the following changes after installation:

Set the program icon to ‘Run as Administrator’ (When you install the engine and it asks to create an icon on your desktop, say yes. Once you install both the engine and test file(s) successfully, find the icon on your desktop.Right click on the icon and a drop down menu will display. There will be a selection on the list to Run as Administrator, left click on that to complete the first step.)
    Set the compatibility to ‘Windows 98/ME’ (it will NOT run if set to Windows XP) (Right click again on the icon and select Properties. This will bring up another box which will allow you to set the compatibility mode to run as 98/ME.)
    Start the program again.

Sent: Friday, September 21, 2007 3:51 AM
    To: Customer Care
    Subject: Send Feedback Response - Product Information

Reason: Product Information

=================================================================
    Hi, Do your products work on Vista (x64) or win2003? Thanks
    =================================================================

17. BosonMichael

Good luck with that! :D

You know... there's a reason I'm now at Boson. 8)

I don't guess I should also point out the affect/effect grammar issue there, should I? :D

18. BosonMichael

Update: We've sent this request to our programming team in Tampa.

19. hippy

hippy Kilobyte Poster

How goes it Mike?

20. BosonMichael

Just asked the team for an update... stand by.