Transcender a Good Indication?

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Frank, Jan 31, 2009.

1. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yep, BosonJosh worked on the MCDST exams back when we were with Transcender. I can vouch that the content is good, provided Kaplan/Transcender/SelfTest hasn't replaced Josh's content with the SelfTest content.

Sorry, your co-worker doesn't know what he's talking about. Marking questions has no effect on your score.

As others have already said, using braindumps is cheating - no different than stealing a professor's final exam from his or her desk. Unless you want to risk being decertified and banned from getting any future certifications for life, avoid braindumps like the plague... no good can come from using them. If you're ready to hold the certification, you don't need braindumps... and if you need braindumps to pass, then you're not ready to hold the certification.

Tell the person who gave it to you what it is that they gave to you, and explain why they shouldn't be using that crap. And if it was an instructor who gave it to you, they ought to be reported to Microsoft. Braindumps are a cancer to the IT industry.

No harm done, mate... just trying to set you on the right path to succeed. :) If you hadn't mentioned anything, you wouldn't have found out that you could be decertified for using it, right? So, with that perspective, it's a good thing you said something.

Mark them with confidence. I've passed 26 Microsoft exams, and I always mark questions for review - in fact, I've even a perfect score (only once), so don't worry about what marking them will do to your score.

For the record, you don't have to mark ALL of the questions to be able to review them... you can review all of the questions regardless of whether you've marked them or not. The marking feature just enables you to focus on and review questions that were particularly tricky for you.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Transcender practice test are not the real exams as the real exam would be a brain dump and cheating. On the other hand transcender is a good practice test for the exams including prep logic, Boson ExSim, MeasureUP and selftest.

Best wishes:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. Frank

Frank Bit Poster

Thanks for your advise guys.

On the last transcender test i got %84 so feeling good about going for the real thing which is mid next week. Starting to get nervous tho which is strange seeing i'm ok once i sit down to do the prac tests....it's the damn wording...i'm sure i could do better so i'm going to review all the questions and hopefully not make more mistakes the 2nd time around in fear i got something wrong the first time :ohmy :biggrin

4. del_port

del_port Byte Poster

I wouldn't do the exam the way you are describing,surely the review is meant to be for the questions you find difficult?

I marked around 15 questions for review out of 49,if i marked all 49 i don't think i'd have finished the exam in time.

I only had ten minutes spare out of 2 hours doing things the way i did it.

There are some questions you could read 4 times and still not fully understand them it is those i marked for review,the complex ones.

Also some people feel first instinct is the best way to answer a question,if you go over and over a question you may end up putting in the wrong answer after instinctively picking the correct answer to begin with.

Certifications: A+ and MCDST 70-271
    WIP: mcdst 272
  5. Frank

Frank Bit Poster

Well prometric have sent me a e-mail with my date for the exam and it says i have 3:15 [hh:mm] which if it's only 49 questions should be more than enough time to review my answers.

Last question is does the real exam like Transcender display in a corner how many questions you have left and time ticking down?

Cheers,

Frank

6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I think you get an hour to read the terms and conditions and the glossary page before the exam starts properly.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. Frank

Frank Bit Poster

glossary page?

8. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

There's some stuff you have to read, such as the NDA, and you have to accept or you can't proceed with the exam.

9. Frank

Frank Bit Poster

What if you sign the NDA rather than read it does that mean you get more time towards your exam? NDA are standard anyway.

10. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

I don't think so, the timer doesn't start until the 1st question.

Certifications: MCP, MCSA, MCSA:M, MCSE, MCTS
    WIP: A few
  11. del_port

del_port Byte Poster

well i did my exam at prometric too.

The email they sent to confirm the exam date says duration allowed for exam 2hrs 45 minutes,
    this is a copy and paste of the email
    "Appointment Duration: 02:45 [hh:mm] "

but in reality,i was given only 120 minutes for 49 questions.And the 120 minutes was displayed on the screen before i clicked to begin the exam.So i'm sure you'll get 2 hours too.

And yes you are always aware how many questions are left ,and the clock ticks down on the top right of the screen.

you could easily take 30 minutes on answering 10 questions,personally,i know it is hard to believe,but some questions i took 10 minutes on,a single question 10 minutes.I'm not dumb or an idiot,but you will find some quite complex questions in the exam.

They aren't all mutiple choice questions,some you have to do a task on screen,move an item,tick a few boxes and so on.

And all the info pages before the exam you have time to read,you can read them for an hour if you want.Its not going to be deducted from your time.The clock only begins when you willingly wish it to.

Basically you know when you are clicking to actually do the exam,rather than read more agreement clauses.

12. Frank

Frank Bit Poster

Thanks for the info del_port, very helpful.

I noticed in the MS press book that the registry isn't covered at all. Is it safe to say the exam won't have some surprise questions about the registry or things that need to be run only by a registry change? To be honest i kind of expected a whole chapter on that alone but i guess Microsoft doesn't want people doing things in there in the first place.

13. del_port

del_port Byte Poster

i didn't see any question at all about the registry ,i know a lot about the registry already,but not through studying the mcdst .