Transcender a Good Indication?

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Frank, Jan 31, 2009.

1. Frank

Frank Bit Poster

Hi everyone,

I've just completed the MS Press book for 70-271 and did all the practice tests in the book.

I've just got transcender practice tests and tried one and got %80 on my first go. I see there are 2 more still and will try to improve.

My question to all that have passed the offical exam is if i can get over %80 on the transcender tests would I be good enough to go for the real exam or would it still be risky?

What are your thoughts and thanks for any advise.

Cheers,

Frank

2. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi Frank.

Welcome to the forum. :D

You've not told us much about yourself, in terms of what you do and previous experience with XP.

A couple of the guys on the forum used to work for Transcender and, if I am not mistaken, one of them actually worked on the MCDST stuff.

I would suggest that, if you're getting 80% then you can't be far off. However, you don;t want to take any chances.

Have you been through the areas that Transcender will have shown you that you're weak in? Read up on those areas in the MS Press book, then attempt another of the Transcender exams and see whether you've improved.

3. del_port

del_port Byte Poster

I would feel it would be enough,the transcender tests are close to the real thing from what i have seen of them.

70% passing score and above is what you need from what i can tell from doing my exam.

I personally stayed away from practice exams for the 271 in the final weeks before my exam,but i used transcender for the A+.

I really dislike the microsoft style of questioning,and find it tedious to read,so i just waited till the exam to start reading questions again,i was bored reading them even during the exam.They have too much content and not enough substance.

Certifications: A+ and MCDST 70-271
    WIP: mcdst 272
  4. GiddyG

The thing with MS exams is that you do often need to weed out the insignificant stuff in the information you're given. However, you do also need to be careful as often the important stuff is in plain sight, right in the middle of a load of text you're thinking might be surplus to requirements.

One piece of advice I would offer: read the information in each question carefully, read the potential answers, then read the information again. Very often, you can eliminate two of the options pretty much straight away.

5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I would say, usually for me, the Transcenders were pitched slightly above the difficulty of the exam. However, as each exam is unique, as the questions come from a large pool, you could be unlucky and find the real exam harder. This happened to me a couple of times. :eek:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. Frank

Frank Bit Poster

Thanks for your advise guys.

Yeah the questions and the way they are worded get me sometimes. I need to be more careful. I called prometric and was told the exam goes for 2 hours and 45min....forgot to ask how many questions but that is a crazy amount of time to do a exam like this...i hope it's not 100 questions :ohmy

I've worked in IT from ISP to service desk level for the last 4 years and want to get into a desktop support role...i've used mostly XP but reading the book like some have said i've found features i've never had the need to use in my day to day work.

Cheers,

Frank

7. GiddyG

Don't forget that the time should allow you to go over any questions you're unsure of. Make sure you mark any questions you want to go over again; that said, I always mark and review every question anyway.

I've been working in and around IT for over 17 years. I am always finding out stuff I never knew about. That's one of the joys of IT; you never, ever stop learning.

8. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

I dont think it will be 100 questions, when I did the test it was 50 questions

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: Not a thing
  9. Frank

Frank Bit Poster

So is the offical exam like the transcender tests as in you can go backwards and forwards to re-read your questions and answers or do i need to make sure i mark everything to get the chances to do that? If it's only 50 questions i'll take the time i have to review all of my answers to help my chances (or go mad stopping myself from making more mistakes :) ) just as long it doesn't forget the answers i did select when i go back to review...that would be painful.

Thanks for your time guys!

Frank

10. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

I did the same thing for the 271and I found the Transcender suff to be very much in line with the MS tests which were in line the exam if you see what I mean.

Good luck!

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  11. GiddyG

You can go backwards and forwards, but it's always best to mark anyway, just in case...

12. del_port

del_port Byte Poster

mine was 49 questions,and i got exactly 120 minutes to do the exam,i needed nearly the whole 120 minutes just to get to the end of the 49 questions as i read everything twice and three times.

I also thought i'd have nearly 3 hours available but it was only 2hrs.

In comparison i finished 100 questions in 70 minutes for the A+,i only needed to read those questions once.

13. Frank

Frank Bit Poster

I think this could be a rumor but if anyone can confirm would be good to know.

I've been told by a work friend that if you mark questions to go back and review that you lose points in your final score since you didn't resolve the issue on the first go as your going back to review your answers before submitting the exam.

Does anyone know for sure? If this is the case i can't risk going back to review answers to lose points i may end up needing to pass. I will need to take extra time making sure my answers are correct and move on to the next ones.

I've also started doing the (illegal supplier of braindump material removed by Bluerinse) prac tests. Apparently these tests are considered the closest to the real thing out there but then again that could be rumor.

Man I hate Microsoft questions...:dry

14. del_port

del_port Byte Poster

It does only sound like a rumour,i marked quite a lot of questions to return to later,it didn't seem to affect my result at all,i did better than i expected.

15. GiddyG

I seriously doubt it. I always mark all of my questions for review and it does not appear to have impacted my results. I would expect MS to warn you at the start of the exam if it did anyway.

That is because they are the real thing. They are braindumps from actual exams and, if you use them, they can get you decertified for life. If you're ever in any doubt about a resource, check here first.

16. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Err, what?? and how does your work friend know this, does he work for Microsoft? he is talking out his poop shoot.

As for the braindump material you have just admitted using, that is illegal stuff and could cost you any certs you gain using them :eek: i wont even mention their filthy name on here and i'm going to edit your thread and remove it.. enough to say they are the scourge of the IT certification industry and you should get rid of any of that crap asap.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  17. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

There's a reason they are considered the closest thing to the exam questions, it's because they are the exam questions.

Get rid of the *braindump* crap. They are braindumps and if you use them you will be cheating.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  18. Frank

Frank Bit Poster

Sorry guys i honestly didn't know they where considered braindumps...i haven't started reading them i was only handed a copy today. I pride myself on being honest so based on the reaction regarding it I won't read it.

Sorry if i upset anyone....now i'm not sure if i should mark all the questions in the exam to review. I guess it would be strange of microsoft not to tell you at the start that you will lose points if you review your answers.

Cheers,

Frank

19. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

i doubt very much that you lose points if you review questions. BTW nobody is upset that you have gotten the braindump material as you didn't know.

People get mad about braindumps because it allows people who shouldn't be in the IT industry to get ahead of people who should be but eventually they get found out when their employer finds them to be incompetent as happened at where I work.

This guy started who had braindumped his certs including the MCSE he ended up leaving the backup tapes in the corridor which got chucked out by the cleaners. So lost of confidential info went out in the bin.

He didn't even know what vlan was, he got sacked after 3 weeks.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  20. GiddyG

Good call. Suggest you tell the person who gave them to you that they are Braindumps, as he may not know. If he does, then he is taking a BIG risk using them.

Exactly! So mark them and don't worry...