TRAINING

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by kgerrard32, Jan 11, 2007.

1. kgerrard32

kgerrard32 New Member

HI GUYS, I am new to all this,wonder if any of you guys can help me.I have had two interviews this week,one with ADVENT and one with NITLC,they have both offered me a place on the MCSE course.CAN any one give some advice on which one to choose,and how hard it will be to get the MSCE. I know a small bit about computers but not a hell of alot,but wish a career change due to working in a dead end job.CHEERS

Certifications: none
    WIP: mcse
  2. fsimeta

fsimeta Nibble Poster

I can only answer from one side of that equation :)
    I'm taking an MCSE with NITLC and I had some previous knowledge of PC's and networking so I had a bit of a head start.

I still have a lot to learn though and it's quite a lot to take in at first on the MCSE track, but once you get the whole picture in your head, it doesn't seem as daunting. I have a lot of time to myself, so I have time to study quite a lot, as I'm not a party animal (did that in my 20's) and now like to spend time at home with a good whiskey and a loving wife. But enough about me...back to the course!

NITLC have a lot of good support, recruitment advice and to me seem a genuine bunch of guys and gals. I've had a good laugh with tutors in the chat room, and visiting the place was a good eye opener to see what facilities they had. Looking forward to my N+ workshop.

So there's my 2p's worth, but I haven't had any dealings with Advent, sorry. Maybe someone else on these forums has and will help you out :)

From what I've gleaned either on this forum or from people who are doing the course, 2-3 years is a reasonable time scale depending on your learning style or lifestyle :)

Good luck whichever you choose.

Fsi

Certifications: Comptia A+, Comptia Network+
    WIP: MCP, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  3. kgerrard32

kgerrard32 New Member

Cheers FSI thanks for that information very helpful.

Certifications: none
    WIP: mcse
  4. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Hi,

im not studying with any provider but ill try shed some light on what you can expect. Im currently studying for MCSA and its tough work - to give you an idea its taken me nearly 1 1/2 years to get to where i am. What you saying about your experience with computers i say you are in for up hill all the way - sorry if it sounds harsh but its the truth. I had experience in the field and some IT certs under my belt before starting out. What i suggest you do is start from something much more entry-level like the A+. Also have you heard for self-study? This is where you buy your own books and teach yourself - and everyone can do this dont worry. Seriously reconsider this commitment to MCSE and with the training company because you could end up loosing more than gaining.

good luck with whatever you choose! 8)

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I agree with what has been said so far.

Firstly do a search using the facility in this forum on the names of the two training providers you mentioned. I believe that will open your eyes some :eek:

MCSE is targeted at an audience where people have had about a years experience with Microsoft *server* products. So, if you are going in cold, it is going to be a lot tougher than you realise at the moment. I had seven years experience as a network admin prior to embarking on my MCSE. I was told by a salesman that it would take me around 6 months. That was misinformation, in reality it took me three years, 10 months to pass one exam (70-216) and almost a year to pass my ISA exam. Some of these exams are as tough as nails and they tend to get tougher as you progress through the courses.

A sensible recommendation which is far cheaper and more doable, would be to self study the CompTIA A+, then self study their Net + and reevaluate the situation then. Maybe an MCP would be more appropriate or an MCSA.

Good luck,

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I agree with what Zimbo has said, the MCSE big cert and will take allot of commitment to pass in a realistic timescale.

If you are just trying to get started in IT then there isn’t any need to sign up for the MCSE as this aimed at more senior network engineers. Again as Zimbo as said why not start with the A+, Network+ or even the 70-270 if you want to follow the Microsoft path.

Best of luck! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs