Training with learn direct

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by chrisronin, May 17, 2010.

1. chrisronin

chrisronin New Member

Hello all and thanks for taking time to read my post.
    I have a few questions for you all regarding gaining IT qualifications. Like many on here computers have been a long time hobbie of mine and an area I would really like to move into work wise.
    I am, like many, currently unemployed. So I have decided to take this oppertunity to gain some new qualifications and hopefully start an IT career. However due to my financial position I cannot afford to do training with the many providers due to the large cost involved. I did however find that learn direct offer a few IT related courses. here are a few links :
    MCSE - http://www.learndirect.co.uk/browse/homeofficeit/computer_security/104266BT008/
    comp TIA essentials - http://www.learndirect.co.uk/browse/homeofficeit/computer_security/104266BT001/
    cisco CCNA - http://www.learndirect.co.uk/browse/homeofficeit/computer_security/104266BT005/

The downside to these are they dont do the exams or "support" these courses. I have contacted learndirect to find out if these courses were all that is needed to take the exams, and where and how much would it cost to do the exams. They were less than helpfull and seemed to know less than me. They put me in touch with the careers advice service, who knew even less.
    Has anyone done any of these courses with learndirect? Are they all that is needed to take the exam? Also how much will the exams cost me. Its proving difficult to get answers for these questions, even from cisco themselves. I understand from other posts on here that MCSE should only really be taken when you have gained 1-2 yrs experience.
    Any help and advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

2. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

If you are new to IT then start with the basics, A+ and Network+ (N+) from Comptia are both good entry level certs. Also if you pass them before the end of this year you will be lifelong certified in them, After that you will have to re-sit every 3 years.

I'm not sure what experience you have in IT from your post but the A+ and Network+ can both be home studied and passed with relative ease as long as you apply yourself. I am currently getting ready for the N+ myself but have simply been reading books etc.

These 2 qualifications along with possibly the Microsoft MCDST are really as far as you want to go with certs if you have no real life work experience in the environment. These will allow you to get your feet on the first rung of the ladder so to speak to start building some experience, Then you can think about your MCSE's and CCNA's etc at a later date. These higher exams will be far more valuable if undertaken once you have a couple of years experience under your belt.

HTH

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!
  3. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

Oh also, Exam prices should be available on Pearson Vue or Prometric websites. I think it may be slightly different depending what area you are but when I looked last I think N+ exam was £168 or something like that. Just to give you a rough idea.

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!
  4. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Good advice, repped!

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

very good advice there also repped.

As said stay away from high level certs they wont help you in getting a foot in the door.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. chrisronin

chrisronin New Member

Thanks for the replies. The a+ courses with learn direct are only around £50 each, so very cheap. Just been having a little difficulty finding somewhere to do just the exams without the training. Everywhere i've phoned so far have just given me the sales hype for their full courses. Which in my current position I cannot afford nor believe I need. As for my experience, my only experience is with building my own and families computers and trouble shooting for friends and family,as well as a little 'tinkering' and overclocking etc. So nothing actually work wise. Had someone ring me from cisco this morning, after about ten mins I got the price out of him for just the exam, which was I believe £150. As you have advised me the A+ route seems the best for now,I think learndirect offer 4 different a+ courses, Essentials, network +, remote support technician, IT technician, depot support technician. All priced at £50 each. Any ideas of exam costs and who with (I live just outside of Birmingham)? as this is what is limiting me currently. Its very difficult to get good advice in this area, as I find I am either dealing with a salesman or someone who knows less than me :rolleyes:
    Thanks again.

7. chrisronin

chrisronin New Member

oops, my bad. Pearson Vue for prices. sorry, doing several things at once. :blink

8. gazberg

gazberg Bit Poster

I'm doing my A+ through learn direct. IT Essentials which i've passed and IT Techniciain which im studying. Did my exams in the city centre in Brum. £114 each with Prometric. Hope this helps.

9. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

you book the exams through pearsonvue or prometric. you will find your nearest test centers on their sites.

you do not need a course just some good books, a computer and motivation.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  10. gazberg

gazberg Bit Poster

Yeah i can confirm i spent £100 for the 2 courses that make up my A+ but the Mike Meyers book is just fine and thats £20 online.