training video info

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by jec69, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

It’s common for training products to have a non-transferrable license.

Having worked at a software development company that sold software to students many students tried to sell the software when they went into second year to the new first year students.

This was against the license agreement so we would not re-activate the software when they installed it on a PC\Laptop.

It may sound harsh but if we did not do that then there was no way we would had enough cash to develop new products as some training products were valid until the course content changed. So in theory the software could have been sold on and on for a few years until an updated version was needed.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  2. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

And I'm fine with that to be honest illegal or not. I sell DVD's and Games after I'm finished with them and if I bought training material and sold it on I would sleep easy at night. I don't see training material any differently to games or IT books. I pay for all my software and no I don't agree with draconian rules as it's all about money making. If I bend the law then fine.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Dude, you're not bending the law... if you violate the terms, you're outright breaking it.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. michael78

Well I'm not as the only time I've used CBT nuggets is a corporate licence at work. But you get my stance on BS licence terms and conditions.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
  5. BosonMichael

I absolutely get your stance. You're OK with breaking the law. If that's how you want to roll, then fine... but don't try to spin it as "bending the law".

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  6. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

I'm going to play a little dumb on this subject and ask which law is he breaking?

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  7. BosonMichael

International copyright law, which the UK follows.

EDIT: I am not a lawyer, but I would guess that it would be covered under the UK's Copyright, Designs and Patents Act of 1988.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2010
  8. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I'm almost 100% certain that if when using a product like this that if you violate any of the terms of the user agreement then the company can bring criminal proceedings against you. If a company can bring criminal proceeding against you then you are breaking the law.

I suppose the law being broke would come under copy right or something along those lines.

It would be very similar to MS or compTIA being able to bring criminal proceeding against a candidate who breaks the NDA in some way.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  9. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

But which part of the copyright law covers reselling? Kind of goes against the First-sale doctrine.

10. michael78

At the end of the day if I pay for it I should be able to sell it on as long as I stop using it. Really doubt any company will be hunting me down for that. Yes it is bending the law just like say people buying OEM versions of Windows or selling on DVD's. I have sold on many DVD's and from memory they haven't sent Arnie around my house to Terminate me. I know you work in that industry but your licence terms are BS. I wouldn't expect anyone to stop me selling on my car, house, PS3 games or wife so why should training material be any different............oh yes that's right money.

11. BosonMichael

That's all well and good... except you're purchasing a non-transferrable license.

I know Wikipedia is not authoritative, but it's quick:

"The doctrine of first sale does not include renting and leasing phonorecords and certain types of computer software, although private nonprofit archives and libraries are allowed to lend these items if a notice that the work may be copyrighted is on the copy."

Plus, you agree to the terms of the EULA when you install the software.

12. BosonMichael

You don't purchase a license to use a DVD, car, house, PS3 game, or wife. If you don't understand that difference, the rest of the discussion is pointless.

13. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

I completely agree that software should live by the above but we are talking about videos on a CD/DVD, it just seems that CBT are exploiting a loophole.

14. michael78

I fully understand different licences and I'm saying that licensing your referring to is BS moneymaking scam licensing. Haven't got anything else to add on the issue.

15. BosonMichael

Just because you think something is a moneymaking scam doesn't give you the right to violate copyright law. :rolleyes: If you think something is a moneymaking scam, just don't buy the product.