Training to get back into IT....

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Deano1983, Jul 28, 2009.

1. Deano1983

Deano1983 New Member

Hi All

I am new to this forum and am after some help really.

After leaving school I went to college and got an Int GNVQ in IT I then left and got a job as a trainee IT Tech where I did lots of different things from set up desktop/laptops/servers to sorting out networking issues to a point. I also have experience with firewalls and patching in phones etc. I then decided there must be something else out there that I would like to do and being only 22 at the time decided to go into Construction and become a planner. I have now decided that although I do enjoying building I am better suited to IT and am wanting to get back into the industry.

I was thinking of doing my MCSE but am not sure whether that would be the right choice? I should also mention that I am currently out of work and am in deperate need of find IT work so I need something that will make me a good asset to a potential employer?!

Obviously I have being looking into the various companies that offer these course which of course vary alot. I would really appreciate someone taking the time to offer some advise as to what they recommend starting with to get me well placed to get a job and which providers they think are good/not good options.

The ones I have contacted so far are:- Computeach, Learning Lolly, Advent Training, Seek Learning & National IT Learning Centre.

Thanks in advance

Dean

2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

The best advice i can give you at this point is, don't sign up for anything yet. Search this forum for the names of the companies you listed. Read what others in your position have asked in the past.

The answers to all your questions are here.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

CompTIA A+, Network+ and MCDST.

Oh and avoid the TPs, grab some books and self study your ass off.

The MCSE should never be your first choice when starting out on the path of certification, its an advanced cert which if listed on your CV without a decent amount of experience to back it up actually damages your chances of getting a job.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  4. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

I agree :D

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  5. Deano1983

Deano1983 New Member

So I am best starting with the A+ & N+ then go onto the MCDST?

THanks for your help:biggrin

6. topdogjohnniebanana

topdogjohnniebanana New Member

Hi Dean
    The A+ is definately a good starting point, then build on that with the Network+. You can then stay in the Support area and do the MCDST or the new Microsoft MCTS in Support.

Alternatively to step up a level, do the MCSA or MCSE. No need to do both as they are take you into different jobs - Administration or Engineer.

Have a look at www.itjobswatch.co.uk to see if there is a demand for these Certifications in your area before trying to break back into the industry.

Regarding training, I've personally found that telling employers I am studying for the A+ or the N+ (as an example) rather than asking them to train me, has always put me in a better position.

There are plenty of good training companies out there - and plenty of bad ones too. I was really pleased with my training and got my qualifications too, and a got working too.

Some of the TP's do certs individually and some do them altogether as you've probably seen from the companies you have already looked at.

If it's down to money then probably any TP is out of bounds so try getting some good books and working through them - treat it like a course, spending time every day - and make sure you get the latest books for the latest Certs. So check online at www.comptia.org and www.microsoft.com for the latest certs befoer buying anything.

You can also try online books which give you a selection of books - Safari Books: http://my.safaribooksonline.com/home, Selectware Books: http://itlearneasy.com/html/referenceware.html, Books 24x7: http://www.books24x7.com/books24x7.asp.

I agree with the points about MCSE, get the basics in place first and remember that for any Microsoft Certs it is just the MS way of doing it. So get the A+ and N+ first then any MS networking certs make a lot more sense.

7. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

If you do them in that order it will be (another) great start to your IT career ;)