training/student loan

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by spy22, Jan 17, 2008.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I am going to do a similar set of certs as you spy22 but one at a time, I am also going to self study for each one although I'm not sure I'll do MCSE I will wait and see where my career takes me first. I am going to self study which although this is just a guess it'll work out about three quarters of what any training provider charges.

And after learning a hard lesson with being in debt, I will wait until I can afford each exam even if it takes me 5, 6 ,7, 10 years.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Thought it was 6% APR (ish!) :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. greenbrucelee

Yes it is but the interest I believe does not start untill you start earning a certain amount, probably £5.50 an hour :p

4. spy22

spy22 Byte Poster

I respect your honesty greenbrucelee and I am not going to pretend that I have taken the best option and defend it when I agree that self study would definately have been a cheaper route...

But, hands held high, I made my commitment and will keep to it 100% as you will too so happy studying haha:biggrin

Im trying to look at it as more of a small investment into a long and sucessful career rather than someone making moneyfrom me...makes me feel better anyway haha

Certifications: Its who you know not what you know!!!
    WIP: CCNA?
  5. Sparky

A career development loan will be your best bet for the cash mate.

Do you work in IT just now by the way?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  6. greenbrucelee

This is exactly how I got into debt mate, I went to uni believed the hype that I was going to get a well paid job when I left so I didn't really care about the student load and overdrafts I had. MY exact thought were at the time 'I'll get a good job, pay of my loans and overdrafts and have decent car in 5 years time'. How wrong I was.:(

If you are determined to take out a loan and go with a training provider please be careful and make sure you have enough each month to pay your debt because its not nice not being able to do things that you should be able to afford to do.

7. spy22

spy22 Byte Poster

Thanks sparky I rang about 2 hours ago and should recieve all the info etc.. soon!

I dont unfortunately, thats obviously my biggest issue as all my knowledge comes form reading etc... and is difficult when already working full time.:eek:

8. spy22

spy22 Byte Poster

Again thanks greenbruce i see where you are coming from definately and take your comments on board

9. Sparky

No problem mate. Looking at your ‘work in progress’ you might want to break it down into manageable chunks so to speak.

Focus on the A+ and MCDST first and while studying try and get that first IT job. You will find studying for the MCSE (a more advanced cert) slightly easier if you can relate what you are reading to what you do day in day out at work.

Best of luck! :biggrin

10. spy22

spy22 Byte Poster

Thanks I will

I have just completed A+ essentials and was going to start lookingn for basic jobs once I have completed my A+.

Random question, you related to the Campbells?

11. Sparky

Eh? :blink

12. spy22

spy22 Byte Poster

haha sorry on msn, that was not meant to be added to that reply lol sorry

13. Sparky

LOL, that was a 'WTF?' moment there :biggrin

14. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Gotcha - I will keep my supposedly biased, irrelevant mouth shut the next time you solicit advice, per your request. :dry

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  15. spy22

spy22 Byte Poster

stalker alert haha:eek:

16. m3lt

m3lt Byte Poster

Hey :p

My advice: Save the hassle of debt, even if at the moment you do not have cash to pay the exams in full.

Self-Study has worked for me before, and you know what ?

After you sucessfully pass an exam, your confidence that you CAN do and CAN pass goes sky high... It happened to me, I was extatic after I received my certification and I thought to myself that it was amazing how I have reached that far by my own means.

Maybe your situation is quite different than mine at the moment, but the reward you get after you study and pass an exam on your own, goes far far beyond that of a paper saying you did it.
    You have proven yourself that you can do, and there is no one stopping you from achieving more and higher. :wink:

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+, MCDST/MCSE
  17. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Yes i guess so, the point i am making is that a phrase has actually been coined and is in common use throughout the IT industry. *Paper MCSE*. I have never seen anyone mention Paper MCSA or Paper CCNA or Paper MCDBA etc.

I hope that makes sense :)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)