training/student loan

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by spy22, Jan 17, 2008.

1. spy22

spy22 Byte Poster

hello all

I am soon due to take out a loan for the training provider that I decided to complete my mcse with and just before I do I was wondering if anyone knew of any student loan type schemes or anything at all that may be of some use on this issue!?

thank you in advance for any ideas:)

Certifications: Its who you know not what you know!!!
    WIP: CCNA?
  2. BrotherBill

BrotherBill Byte Poster

Have you considered saving for the tuition and paying cash?

3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Avoid debt like the plague. I went into debt about 13 years ago, and only came out of it about four years ago. My life would have been so much better without it, I promise you.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Take it from me, YOU DO NOT WANT TO GO DOWN THAT ROAD.

What happens if you can't make a payment or if for some reason your creditiors decide to forclose the account? You get a bad credit record and a ccj which is what happend to me. I had a loan for 1500 they creditors closed the account as I missed three payments in a row, they then bunged all the intrest on top plus the cost of letters sent to me and admin cost which a grand total of 10600 this was settled in the county court without my presence (which they can do) and I have been paying back for the last 5.5 years I will be clear in 4 months.

Debt will ruin your life, do not do it. As I have learned if you want something make sure you can pay for it, i.e save the money yourself.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

With the current credit crunch I would be *very* wary of taking any loan. When you add in the relentless rise in prices everywhere, particularly food and energy, this makes it even more doubtfull.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  6. BrotherBill

BrotherBill Byte Poster

Spy,

Seems like we're all jumpin you at once, but we mean well. Take a little time to give this some thought.

There are plenty of training providers out there, some are quite good. Be sure to research those you consider. But we're constantly hearing stories of people signing up for a student or other type of loan, and a few months down the road, falling on hard times. It can get to be a mess.

By taking out a loan, you're legally committing to making a predetermined payment to a lending agent. It doesn't matter if the job market is slow, the mail is behind, maybe you don't get that bonus from work that has been given out for ages. You're still required to make your payments. Late or missed payments only complicate matters of your credit and ultimately will cost more in penalties, late fees, or even higher interest rates. Be careful.

You could consider self-study, at least temporarily until you can save your tuition. Take the same money that you would use to pay for a loan, and set it aside. Before you know it, you'll have your tuition saved. And if you feel like you still need a training provider, you've had time to research them.

There are plenty of free resources, study guides, knowledge bases, practice exams, and more on the web for almost any direction of study that you wish. There are forums like this where you can ask questions. Textbooks can be found on eBay, Amazon, and countless other vendors. Shop around for the best prices. Self-study can be an option.

Applying for a loan seems like a quick, easy way to gather the funds for your training, but it can be a double-edge sword if thing don't go as planned. Please, give it some serious thought.

7. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

who's the training with and how much ?

Grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  8. ManicD

ManicD Byte Poster

in the uk? look up career development loan....its a 0% student loan for adults

Certifications: MCSA, N+, A+(Tech), ECDL
    WIP: 70-294, 70-298
  9. spy22

spy22 Byte Poster

Wow!! Worrying comments!

Thank you very much for your concern, I appreciate the responses!

Without going into details and personal information non of you really want to know my only option is to extend the loan (with Natwest) I have already taken out on my car minus the money that I have saved. I have all the cover needed if I was to lose work etc and I currently work for my local borough council at present to which I have amazing sickness pay and help!

I know full well that it would be much better to pay it with cash but realistically that is not the situation that I am in so therefore that is not an option or my question!

I dont want to insult anyone but all the issues you have raised (to which are much appreciated) have been carefully thought out in advance to starting my course so my only question is "if a loan was to be taken out does anybody know of any student loans or government funding maybe to where you can be helped with the cost"

Thanks

Spy22

10. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

a CDL as ManicD suggested, have a look at Zebulus post about CDLs

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  11. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Manic,

Not sure you don't have to pay interest once it's finished... the link is here

12. spy22

spy22 Byte Poster

Thanks

13. MrNerdy

MrNerdy Megabyte Poster

In Work in progress you state A+IT TECH MCP MCDST MCSA MCSE.
    If this is being provided by one training provider then you are taking a big risk.
    Often the promise of riches such as 23k salaries & guaranteed work at the end of it, it's all sales talk.
    Getting experience is what employers are after, not a list of qualifications.
    It may say you can do something on paper but in the real world it cut's no ice with out experience.

Who's your training provider????

Certifications: ECDL, CiscoIT1 & A+
    WIP: Girlfriend & Network+
  14. BosonMichael

So... what would happen if you were to lose your car?

Actually... it would be much better to not have to pay for a training class at all... self-study methods are readily available, accessible, and affordable for the exams in your WIP section of your profile.

That said, ultimately, it is your decision to go with a training provider or use self-study methods. Just want to give you all the possible alternatives before you sign on the dotted line.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  15. spy22

spy22 Byte Poster

Irrelevant as you only picked out two statements of a complete question and answered them only completely missunderstanding the point but thanks anyway. I know how you feel about training providers etc but that wasnt my question

16. BosonMichael

How so? I asked questions based on the only statements I had questions about. I had no questions as to your solvency if you were to lose your job.

If you are extending a loan on an already-purchased car, then what happens if you were to lose your car and have to get another one before the debt is paid off? That's my point. That's not irrelevant at all.

As far as training providers go, I had no idea you already knew how I felt about them. Though I should mention, I work for one - just not one that pushes someone through a slew of courses for several thousand dollars. My problem isn't with training providers... it's with certain methods employed by certain training providers. Others are just fine.

Would you rather we provide you no advice at all? Or perhaps, just tell you what you want to hear? Just say the word, and that bridge'll be burnt at your request, my friend.

17. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Spy,

A little unfair methinks... you had included the info in your post, and Michael was merely asking the questions...

18. spy22

spy22 Byte Poster

Not at all, i repect and take on board all RELEVANT advice from un biased replies. No lecture required thank you very much

19. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

How long do 'you' think it's going to take you to study and learn all the topics covered in the WIP in your profile?

I was led to believe by a sales guy that i could attain an MCSE in six months. It took me three years.

As others have said.. have you considered self study? All you need to do is start at the beginning. Buy the A+ all in one study guide 6th edition by Mike Myers. Read it, learn it, practise it. Buy PC Street Smarts by the inimitable James Pyles (Tripwire45 here). With these two books and the will to succeed you can pass the A+ easily on your own.

MCSEs with no *real world experience* with the technologies that are covered have a name.. Paper MCSEs. They are not considered of value in the market place except for entry level (help desk) positions.

Try and progress through your career in IT by matching your certifications with the job function you are doing or hope to be doing soon.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  20. spy22

spy22 Byte Poster

Good advice blue rinse thanks!

I completely agree and have set myself a realistic study guide and time span to complete all of my relevant qualifications! I am also fully aware that I am not goin to walk into a job just because I have MCSE but i ask you a question...

Isnt every (or almost every) qualification a 'paper qualification' without hands on or actual work experience??

I agree with your post but I am fully aware and think if anyone studying anything at all to better themselves, is prepared and is aware that they must start form the bottom and work your way to the top should be respected