Training Schools

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Med, Jan 13, 2008.

1. JohnBradbury

JohnBradbury Kilobyte Poster

Med you'd be better focusing on the entry level certifications in your list. That would be the A+ and Network+ exams. Mix these with the client exam from the MCSA and you have a good solid starting point that you can build on.

Exchange is a very complex product to administer on an enterprise level so this wouldn't be something to set your sights on in the short term.

Where about are you based in the UK?

2. Med

Med Bit Poster

Im in london

3. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Med

Some interesting reading for you:

Link 1
    Link 2 (from this very forum!)

This mob have been around for a while and are, in my humble experience, one of the most complained about of all. Sorry mate - but you've been done. Get as much as you possibly can out of them whilst it's still on offer, then take the 2 grand 'cashback' or whatever it was and buy yourself two well-specced boxes to run as VMWare servers & install yourself a little test lab - then prepare yourself for some serious studying. It will take you at least 18 months to pass the MCSE and MCDBA legitimately without any experience. I had five years' worth of industry experience when i took my 2000 MCSE & MCDBA - studied full time for a year (owing to a nice redundancy payout from a former employer) and passed - but even then it was a struggle. I studied about eight hours a day on average (sometimes it was more, sometimes less) and, as I said, I had plenty of experience prior to starting out.

These companies make me sick. They lie through their back teeth to get you through the door, do absolutely **** all to help you, then tell you that the job 'guarantee' is worthless if you haven't passed all your exams by a certain point. This gives people very little alternative other than to cheat their way through exams just to get the job 'guarantee' fulfilled - making you look a complete pillock when you turn up for the job on day one and haven't got a Danny how to do things in the 'real world'.

Sorry if this sounds all doom & gloom - its not meant that way. I just find that a cold hard reality check is often what is needed to give people the kick up the arris they often need to realise that they have a LOT of hard work ahead of them, and that they have just wasted something to the tune of 8 grand. :(

Good luck - and don't forget, this forum is an awesome resource for you whilst you're studying - there are some pretty knowledgable people about and, chances are, someone will be able to help with most of your questions.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Good advice there from Zeb :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. JohnBradbury

JohnBradbury Kilobyte Poster

6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Keep in mind that want and require are sometimes two different things. :)

It looks like the first link is truly for an entry-level position... the other two, while they might settle for someone without experience, seem to be looking for someone who has a bit of experience already.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. Med

Med Bit Poster

Hi is this package good for passing exams?

http://www.ucertify.com/collections/U00-345.html

by the way, telling me ive wasted my money etc isnt going to help me is it, im trying to make a good thing of this mess, im keeping ym chin up and confident I can pass and get a job within a year etc, but my god some of you lot arent making it easy for me. I dont need it repeated to me over and over, I get the message.

8. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

London is very competitive there are a lot of jobs but there are a lot of applicants too so you'll need to apply for as many as you can. As you're living at home maybe take a lower paid job just to get your foot in the door to gain some experience and then slowly work your way up as you start passing your certs :)

p.s i work in london

Grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  9. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Mate - if you read my post through you'll see there was a point to it. It definitely wasn't a case of me just having a pop for the sake of it! We're basically doing the opposite to what JTG did with you when you signed your CDL - giving you a 'reality check'. Obviously this may seem a bit harsh, but try and see it as a counterpoint to the 'land of smiling, rainbows and fluffy bunnies' that the training school gives you. Like I said, there will ALWAYS be people on this forum that will try and help you out wherever we can. We might seem like condescending know-it-alls sometimes - but we're not like that really - promise!

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  10. BosonMichael

I'd avoid them. UCertify is known for their unethical practices.

Even if you're on a budget, keep in mind that price should not be your primary objective. Don't just get the cheapest thing out there. Your primary objective should be to find high-quality training materials. Usually, high-quality training materials cost money - you DO generally get what you pay for. Consider it an investment in your career.

If you build the foundation of your IT career with mud or straw or sticks, it will eventually collapse, and you'll have to build it all over again (meaning, if you use poor-quality training materials, you'll likely have to relearn things that weren't explained well). But if you build the foundation with stone or bricks, it will be solid, and you can continue to build on it for a long time. It's worth the extra cost.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  11. BosonMichael

Zeb's right. Would you rather he lie to you and tell you that it was a good decision? We all learn from our mistakes. But we can't learn from a mistake if we never discover that we made a mistake in the first place. ;)