Training Providers

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by dmarsh, Jul 20, 2009.

1. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I urge those who find many TP's practices unacceptable to consider signing this petition :-

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/Skillstrain/

thankyou very much for you time.

Dave

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

done but haven't recieved the email yet. Time to stamp these places out.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Markyboyt

Markyboyt Kilobyte Poster

Signed

WIP: A+
  4. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Hasn't this been posted here before?

And surely it is just a single training provider, not the industry in general.
    I'm not fussed either way, but I must admit that the 'case' for the petition is vague and ambiguous as are many of the complaints we've seen to date.

I'm all for industry regulation in whatever field, but I feel that sometimes it's just another case of a world gone mad.

I'm fed up with seeing a celebrity, publication or corporation do something a bit naughty, then, based on the 23 complaints to OFCOM, a media circus that hits the frontline for many weeks to come.

Why don't we just have one petition which is 'think about what you're doing before you sign anything because you might feel a bit stupid in the morning'.

If we were all grown up and sensible then this sort of thing wouldn't happen in the first place.

Back in the old days we used to complain when something we bought was faulty or broken.
    Now we like to complain about the fact that it just 'isn't as good as we thought it would be'.

I'm sorry, but given the Internet and the amount of information freely available, I can see no excuse in this day and age for somebody buying something that turns out to be rubbish.

Rant over.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  5. free-advice

free-advice Nibble Poster

I am afraid I cannot sign the petition unless it is aimed directly at one TP. I have worked for serveral and the odd few have been really good to their students and have delivered what they have promised.

Sorry guys

6. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

What do you make of this then ?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/07/17/google_mis_libel_case/

The google index of the 'freely available' information was pulled on request by MIS on google.co.uk.

The petition has a description, it is related to skillstrain, but I can only imagine that a general review of TP practices would be the hoped for conclusion of such a petition, therefore people should consider signing it if they have any concerns with the industry they think a review might help resolve.

7. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

TP practices make it very hard for anyone to be sure what exactly was promised. Look at the watchdog programs.

The sales pitch here :-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvcvFL6zRb4

Is also laughable.

8. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

They have uses. I studied at a microsoft academy which was embedded into a college which is sort of like a TP so i can see that they have uses its just they also have sales people which cause problems.

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  9. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I fully support regulated HE/FE, college, university, the open univerisity, and reputable commercial providers like LearningTree etc.

This petition is aimed at the less reputable companies that use doorstepping or pressure sales or misselling.

Companies that use third party credit agreements to extract maximum cash from students for minimum tuition.

10. ericrollo

If a TP cons you into paying 5k on credit for a qualification you have done no research on that person would probably lose that 5k being coned by something just as stupid if TP were banned.

For 5k most people could probably get a degree

11. free-advice

I have heard of MIS in the past, and they were in the same league as Skillstrian and CT Colllege.

I have always advised students I have enrolled with a TP to visit the premises of the institution and talk to tutors, staff and students.

£4000 is a lot of money for a course, but invested wisely it can be benificial.

You will always get a rogue element out there, it does not matter what trade it is.

12. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Bzzzztttt.

Nope - not even close

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  13. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Is that a one year degree? :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  14. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

These companies spend a lot of marketing dollars to make sure when you do your research that you think they are good and then get a salesperson to further convince you.

People that speak out get silenced by pretty nasty practices involving lawyers, look at the register link, they even tried to sue Google !

They are normally successful at silencing people with less money and lawyers than Google, and even Google bowed to pressure and pulled the index during the trial.

Just to give the argument balance look here, can't say I haven't shown both sides lads :-

http://thetruth.skillstrainuk.com/

Internet censorship is becomming a big deal, the freedom of the internet people have come to know is at threat.

Help us remove the rogue element, it will then be better for all involved. MIS is Skillstrain, they are one and the same.

15. m3lt

m3lt Byte Poster

Cons still work these days because there are idiots.
    And unless the supply of idiots is falling, IT training "companies" will still be on the rise.

Seriously, paying those astronomical amounts of money to get "trained" these days is not justifiable, ok might be in some very very rare cases, perhaps someone would kindly help me in telling an IT training company that DOES deliver.

A sharp comon sense and astucity is essential these days. But that doesnt pop in your CV.

I might be harsh today, but recent events where I work just show that I am surrounded by imcopetents idiots who I still fail to understand how they got where they are.

So I will sign the petition not because I pity the fools that pay the cons, but because I do not want idiots having certifications just because they got the cash to splash.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+, MCDST/MCSE
  16. ericrollo

I can get a full 3 year degree from an English Uni for 5,000. In Scotland i could get a degree for even less than that.

17. free-advice

Yes m3lt you will find some very rare cases of TP's worth their salt, but unfortunately this is extremely out-weighed by the con men out there.

Out of all the TP's I have ever worked for spanning 15 years, there would only be 2 I can say I would pay good money to do my training with.

Firebrand - Very good bootcamp, but not for the faint hearted. I would advise you will need a lot of experience in the field you are looking to study before you enrol.

National IT Learning Centre - Very professional attitude to their students and very successful in what they offer, with workshops, tutorial and recruitment support.

Out of all of the others I have worked for (see previous threads) I would not touch with a barge pole, and I have to say I feel bad I was selling their courses for a number of years without knowing how bad they were.

18. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Hey there is nothing wrong with sprucing up your cheeks with a bit of rouge! It's greatly underestimated! :)

p.s. I signed. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  19. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I find it makes the TP salesmen go easy on me ! :D

20. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

I signed. Lets shut 'em down, thieving buggers.

edit: found it mildly amusing that the ad at the top of this thread was for a TP offering A+ training for the low low price of £490 for 5 days....

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10