training providers

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by mick, Mar 30, 2008.

1. mick

mick Bit Poster

Hi all, i am very confussed and need answeres. Around 8 months ago i had a visit from a computeach rep, i was'nt aware of the costs at the time and had a shock when i was told. I am now near to the cost in my savings an the dream is slowly coming to reality. I have worked on building sites for the last 23 yrs and have just turned 40 and sick of working in the rain and the cold in winter. I now want to change my career path and come indoors and spend the rest of my working life progressing in I.T.
    I have read all the comments on these training providers and am slowly starting to re think my plan of action. It has taken me years to save the £3000 i have now and dont want to loose it on some rep promising the earth an recieving nothing. Bear in mind i have no I.T qualifications of any kind i just know the basics of using the internet ( i'll probably have trouble finding your answeres to this question ) so as you can see i'm starting from scratch. One thing that is in my favor is that i am willing to learn, put the hours in and not give up at the first problem, my brain is like a sponge and am realy eager to learn this new world.
    From what i can make out, most people are saying that self study is the best way forward and save myself money in the process. So i'm thinking of going down that route. My goal is an mcse, so am i right in saying that first i would be best to go for A+ and then N+ and that would give me the tools for the mcse ? and what books should i get to help me in my quest. Then when i feel ready where would i go to do my exams. Please Please can you help, i'm in a mess as to the way forward i should be choosing which would be best for me

Certifications: none
    WIP: none as yet
  2. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi Mick.

I have used training provider and self-study for exams. I much prefer the self-study route, not least because it doesn't cost me much, and certainly much less than a training provider. Save your money, buy some books, and a cheap PC (or two).

If you know little about PCs and networks, then the safe option is to start with the CompTIA A+ and the CompTIA Network+.

The books most people tend to go for are:

CompTIA A+:
    All In One CompTIA A+ Exam Guide (6th edition) - by Mike Meyers, published by Osborne
    PC Technician Street Smarts - by James Pyles, published by Sybex

Network+:
    Network+ (4th edition) - by David Groth, published by Sybex

Edit: I wouldn't look at attempting the Microsoft exams until I had my CompTIA exams out of the way; you'd be surprised at how much info you learn from doing the CompTIA studies will help you when you come to take those MS exams later on.

Cheers

John

PS: Hey!! You're on the Wirral!!! I was born and bred in Birkenhead! What's the weather like over there? :D

3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome :)

Yes the A+ and N+ are what you should start of with BUT you shouldn't be doing the MCSE untill you have around a years experience in administering network and desktop operating systems according to Microsoft. Secondly you could self study for your certs its cheap and it'll be nearly the same as what computeach give you. By that I mean most training providers charge you so many thousands of pounds then give you some books which you have to read on your own and they have support people if you get stuck.

Self study is the same but you can get your help on here free of charge and get the books from amazon for hundreds of pounds cheaper.

So training providers have lab days but there is a time table so if you miss them there are no more, if you self study you can practice lab exercises yourslef as you could get a cheap computer from a junk shop.

If I were you I'd self study and put the money you have saved towards a car or a holiday.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. mick

mick Bit Poster

Cheers ladz, this whole I.T subject is an obsolute minefeild but bit by bit i'm getting there and i think my mind is made up that i'll do it the self study way. I'll do more research tho but i can safely say that comp teach or advent ect ect ect will not be getting my money, i'll do it the way 90% of people in this forum recomend and thats self study and i know where to go if i get stuck or have problems........right here. I'm so releived i stummbled across this site whilst doing my research, its saved me alot of money and give me a place where i can get real sound advice. Great site, fantastic advice and i look forward to learning from you all in the very near future............my sincer thanks

5. kerrsey1008

kerrsey1008 New Member

I'm in exactly the same boat as mick and also from the Wirral which is kinda wierd, I've saved up £3K and was looking to invest my money on an IT course. I have spoken to Computeach and Advent Training who advised me to go for the MSCE as i'm looking to move to OZ in the near and they said Australia is crying out or qualified people (which is what i wanted to hear so were they just saying that). Advent training was £4750 and computeach is £500 more for the same course and exams. But must people seem to advise self learning! So know i'm more cufussed then ever :-(

GiddyG: how long would you say it takes to complete CompTIA A+ and the CompTIA Network+ doing it yourself?

I also read that the in't a need for IT people as much as what the training providers say there is by a long shot would you agree?

Certifications: N.V.Q Engineering, GNVQ IT systems
    WIP: MSCE
  6. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I'd agree here. Save your hard earned cash for someting *really major*. Do the A+ and N+ by home study.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  7. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Hiya mate...

I am going to be a right royal pain and say it depends... :rolleyes:

If you have experience with computers and networks, then you could study and pass the A+ really quickly - within 2 or 3 months; however, if you don't have experience, then you will want to take your time.

You're best to get the books I mentioned previously, have a quick scan and see what you think.

Just remember though... it isn't a race...

Where abouts on the Wirral are you guys anyway?

8. mick

mick Bit Poster

Hi all, mick here again, just ta let ya know kerrsey i'm from elly port, wot about you then ? Maybe we can help each other out on this one then ay.

I had a rep round today from skillztrain, they were a bit cheaper than the rest at £3700, and ya dont go off to a workshop ta do the hands on stuff, its all done over the net. I did like the sound off things but when i made it clear that there was no way i would be commiting to anything or signing anything today he couldnt end his presentation quick enuff and got off. Which sort off put me right off coz it made things clear to me that it woz only my cash he seemed interested in, thats not to say that they might be a good provider but thats just my opinion an the way i interpreted thingz.

I looked at one off the links on this site for ''IT Training UK via cd Rom'' a bit confussing to me being the complete novice but i did like the sound off it, i'm goin to go back and have a look at them in more detail but can anybody give me any feedback on them an let me know if its a good way ta start for ya A+ N+ ect ect.

Cheers all, I await ya feedback on IT Training UK Via cd Rom.

9. kerrsey1008

kerrsey1008 New Member

Alright Mick i'm from Greasby!
    I think i have finally made my mind up on what to do. I have just ordered the '"All In One CompTIA A+ Exam Guide and the N+ books by Mike Meyers for £35 (thanks for the advice GiddyG!) and i'm going to buy a old cheap PC and basiclly just play with it while i'm reading the books as thats what most people seem to have done on this site and they have the Certs next to there names so it must work! I have also seen and been told by the PC World Tec that CBTNuggets.com offer great walk through CD Roms does any one know them?

If it all fails and I can't get my head around it by myself then at least i've olny wasted £35 and then I can spend the price on a new car on Advent ha!

Certifications: N.V.Q Engineering, GNVQ IT systems
    WIP: MSCE