Training providers

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by twizzle, Dec 18, 2007.

1. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Ok i'm sure this has been done before but anyway i'm gonna repeat it!

We get a number of threads on this forum from people who have signed up with distance learning trainig providers, only to feel that they have been ripped off. Lack of course materials, persuasive salesmen, no tutors or returned calls, and the difficulty in canceling any contracts are all sited as reasons not to go with these companies.

However, if i'm not the type who can self study then this sort of thing will always appeal to me. College courses may not be the answer as they have set study times / days, so being able to learn atmy own pace in my own time is the biggest draw that these companies provide. So for once can we please give a list of companies who provide diatance learning and ARE GOOD AT WHAT THEY PROVIDE? can members on here recommend any companies, based on thier experiences, training material provided, contacts with tutors and course support?
    I don't want to knwo about the bad companies and why tehy are bad, i want to know which ones are the better ones and wich are reliable and people should go with if they have to go with one!

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I think that all training providers provide people with what they need to become familiar with the subject that they are studying. Not all of them provide materials that necessairlly take you up to the level needed to take a cert exam, but they get you going in the right direction.

It is difficult to provide a list of the good ones versus the bad ones, because ultimately you will get out of the study what you are willing to put into it. Where people often go wrong with training providers is that they expect the materials they are given to be enough to pass the exams. Sometimes it can be, but the vast majority of the time you must put that little bit extra in to get the cert.

8)

3. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

I'm gonna agree with SGUK here. I used a TP and still think it was money well spent investing in my future. The next batch of quals will be by self study.

There is no right or wrong way to get IT quals. The study still happens if you use a provider or DIY. I did have to get complimentary materials to suppliment the course materials, but I either borrowed them from my TP or bought them.

It was a number of years ago when I passed my MCSE with my TP and I would not feel qualified to comment on them now, except to say that I had no issues with them.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  4. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I've self-studied so far and will probably continue to do so BUT I will use training providers used by my company when I reach the higher ends of the MCSA/MCSE to suppliment my learning - I suppose, use them as a last-minute review a week or so before the actual exam but spend months before that doing my own self-study.

We all have different ways - I agree with that.

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  5. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

This subject is always something I curious about in some respects. People say they can't self-study, but the entirety of their careers they are going to have to self-study almost every day, and especially at first when each new day is a learning process. I mean, I'm constantly digging a year after starting my job yet on a daily basis to learn stuff. And, what's more, I expect to be doing this for the entire time I'm in IT. If I ever stop, well, I'm soon going to be left behind.

So, I guess this is a question I'm asking those of you who say you can't self-study now. What are you going to do in the real world when you get there? Are you going to ask someone else to teach you what you need to learn that day?

I'm not putting anyone down. I'm asking a serious question. If you can't teach yourself new stuff now, how are you going to teach yourself new stuff for the entire length of your career as you're going to have to learn constantly just to keep up with technology? Is your brain going to change? Do you expect that you're going to change somehow just because you have a job then?

Why would you want that added pressure of learning how to teach yourself when your job is on the line, rather than now when it's just a matter of losing a little time, and there is no real pressure? Isn't it going to be easier to learn that self-reliance and self-discipline now than it is later when you're under pressure from your boss to get something done and what you're being asked to do is new to you?

What do you plan on doing then? Call a training provider? It just really confuses me as to why people think if they can't learn on their own now how they think they are going to do it later if they've never learned how now?

Maybe I'm just really dense and don't understand what's going on, but it just seems to me like it's a recipe for failure to depend on someone else to do for you now what you will have to do for yourself later.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  6. ManicD

ManicD Byte Poster

learning a new thing so you can impliment it is different to learning 10,000 new things for an exam.

I have quite happily taught myself new things everyday for the past 10 years about computers, but i couldnt bring myself to buy a book and force myself to sit down every night and study. When your learning during your career your learning a particular thing because it interests you at that time, you want to know how to do it to implement it in yoru business.
    when yoru learning for an exam you cant be interetsing in everything at once.

yes, i'm sure if i hadnt wanted to learn fast i could have taught myself everything i'm learning over the next 5 years, but with a training provider, i have motivation to keep the pace up and to work hard.

Certifications: MCSA, N+, A+(Tech), ECDL
    WIP: 70-294, 70-298
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Okay, fine... you want to use TPs for taking exams. So, like Freddy says, what are you going to do when you get out in the real world and your employer isn't going to:

a) pay for you to take a training class, or
    b) give you time off to take a training class, even one you pay for yourself?

I dunno about you guys... but I have better things to do with my vacation/PTO time (and my money) than take a course from a training provider!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. Mr Machfisto

Mr Machfisto Nibble Poster

Well guys, this is my 2nd post in 2yrs 8mths, so bear with me.

I had originally come to Certforums to find the best way to gain my MSCE, and at the time was sort of slated by another member, who I think has now been banned.

I do still use the forum as reference, and I do searchs to find out if anyone is on the same course as me.

So let me tell you about my experience.

I had all of the TP's around to see what they have to offer, and of course the cost!!

After lots of research I took a big decision and enrolled with Schiedigger, and wished I hadn't. The materials we awful and out of date, I was gutted, I had paid nearly £2500 for photocopied materials and very little support. Anyway to cut a long story short I managed to get out of the course by just stopping my payments to them and to be fair they never made a fuss about chasing me.

I then took a break for about 2 months to do some extensive research as I still wanted my MCSE. This time I personally visited TP's, I thought if I'm going to shell out more money, I want to make sure they are who they say they are!!!

I live in Leicester which is fairly central, so I visited Computeach and National IT Learning Centre. Computeach offered a good service but after googleing them I had read quite a lot of negative feedback. NITLC was a little different, I visited them in Newark and was most impressed with what I saw. I spoke with tutors, recriutment support and sat in a workshop for 1/2 hour and they even bought me lunch. The set up was extemely professional.

They never pressured me, it was always my decision. They even gave me 5 days access to their Student Website (very similar to CF, but the students are all on the same course) which I am now a regular member even though I have finished the course.

I funded the course using a Career Developement Loan, which I managed to save up and pay off before the the deffered period finished, If I remember the course was around £3900.

Yes you guessed I have now got my MCSE in 2000, just finished the uprade on 2003 and I have extended the course to study for my CCNA

The support was excellent, and so was the workshops. The materials were all MS Prep books and the course was hands on. I actually built a network at home running 2000/2003 Server to help do the course, obviously NITLC helped me with this!

I am now working as a Network Manager for a company in Derby, and this is down to the recruitment support offered my NITLC.

OK the big question is 'would I do it again' and the answer is YES YES YES. I thought about doing self study at first, then got bit by Schiedigger, but finally found a TP that helped with my future.

Well I guess I will be in touch againn once I have finished my CCNA, I promise I wont leave it another couple of years!!!!

9. Nick Jones

Nick Jones New Member

I work for a large company - not sure about the rules on saying the name or not, and we had always used QA Training but we had a few of the guys come back from courses complaining about various things and we felt that the course quality was going downhill. So we decided to look elsewhere. QA are ok don't get me wrong but as a company we feel that once they get your money they really arn't interested anymore. After a chance phonecall off a rep who was fantastic - we now use EZE Training who are very similar but also a hell of a lot cheaper. Courses are better constructed, always had official courseware to take away, and they don't try to cram 30 people in a room like QA do. The last course with them that i personally went on was in a brand new classroom with new computers and big monitors and the trainer was very good and made sure everyone was keeping up. The trainers are also good at QA but i feel that they have become a bit stagnent. I would go for EZE Training over QA all day long, not just for the price (which got me a gold star from my boss) But they jyust seem like they really enjoy doing what they do and are not just a money grabbing juggernaught like Global Knowledge. We also trialed Computeach who were very good but the price swung it for EZE. Highly recommend. If anything changes this is the first place I will come. Good luck and i hope you keep up your studies.

Certifications: MCSA
  10. JBGJONB3

JBGJONB3 New Member

Hi Guys

If you want to self study then buy the official Microsoft or Cisco books from Amazon. They are equally as good and do not cost the earth (MCITP Server Admin = £150 worth of books). Get in with your IT Department and ask them for assistance with anythng you may be stuck with.

Certifications: MCT, MCSE, MCITP, CCNP, MCTS, VCI