Training Provider

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by jamesrm, Nov 28, 2008.

1. jamesrm

jamesrm New Member

After working in IT for the last 4 years and having worked as both IT support / IT administrator and Network Administrator I feel I have the experience to undertake ultimately an MCSE course but doing MCP and MCSA along the way. I am not totally convinced by these 2 week intensive courses nor do I have the money required to undertake such a course therefore I am in need of some advice.

Ideally I would like to achieve MCSE in roughly 1 year. I can do home learning etc perhaps with some workshops etc - my employer will allow time off etc and time for me to study during the week.

Can anyone suggest a decent training provider for me to go with? Type MCSE into google and get about a million companies offering such services - if you could give me some advice based on your own experiences then that would be a great help.

Many thanks
    James

2. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

You could do a combination of Self study (MSpress and sybex books), self practical (ie get a powerful machine and stick VMWare on it and set up as a home lab), and using video learning using CBTs such as CBT nuggets.

Experience is useful (and mandatory) in microsoft exams, so the fact you are in the industry will help.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

what he said ^

With your experience why would you want to pay someone to give you some books?

There are people on here looking for their first job in IT and have self studied for their A+,N+ and MCDST and they can give themselves the same gaurantee a TP gives of getting a job after passing.......50% vs 50%.

It's about as gauranteed as me walking into my bedroom and findind Jennifer Ellison, Ashley Judd and a billion dollars in cash on my bed :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. shieldsie

shieldsie New Member

50% Guarantees , obviously im with the wrong tp all i get is help with cv and understanding it job specs. didnt see any good tps with Guarantees, mustnt have done my research properly. oh well too late now

WIP: A+
  5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

See that's where you're going wrong GBL, we use pounds here :lol:

One thing that I would recommend is checking out your local colleges to see if they do the MS courses, they would use the same material/equipment as private training companies but normally at a fraction of the cost.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

LOL :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

Thats happened to me once, i kicked them out thinking it must have been the booze.

Experience does help of course, but its only as good as the position your working in, not everyone can get the experiance. So although it helps i wouldn't let it stop you. If you haven't got experience, pass it and leave it off your CV until you have.

With training providers some people prefer them doing better, some don't self study and unfortunately some don't do their homework falling for scams. I also seen people bad mouth TP's because they don't set goals and run out of time . One guy on here did that, he had 2 years and didn't start until 18 months into it then complained that they had ripped him off because he didn't have time to complete... whos fault was that!

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots