Training Provider Vs Self Study

Discussion in 'Polling Station' started by UCHEEKYMONKEY, Jul 25, 2008.

?

Training Provider Vs Self Study

Poll closed Aug 24, 2008.
  1. Yes I have use/used a Training Provider

46.3%
  2. My Training Provider was distance learning

17.1%
  3. My Training provider was class room learning

36.6%
  4. Yes I use/used Self Study

90.2%
  5. I have/had good experiences with a Training provider

36.6%
  6. I have/had bad experiences with a Training provider

17.1%
  7. No - Training Providers are a waste of money

34.1%
  8. Yes - Training Providers are a good value for money

14.6%
  9. I gained employment through Self Study

36.6%
  10. I gained employment through Training Provider

12.2%
  1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

BTW if I sleep it's only for a very short time. I once got tested for a week and my average sleep for every day was 3,78 hours.

I am always awake I just wish the CIA would take notice and train me futher in sniping concepts. I've already done a basic sniping course. Then I could take out the bad guys with no rest.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. greenbrucelee

Better put than me. Yeah Colleges and TPs cost self study hardly costs. With self study the only person you can rip off is yourself.

Cost is the main factor for anyone, I am sorry but if anyone has done the A+,N+ and MCDST through a TP and has paid over £865 (this inlucudes teacher pay). Then you have been well and truly ripped off and I feel sorry for you.

3. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Actually that's what I meant by classroom based? After all college's, University's, long distance, they all provide some sort of training your chosen subject! So to me they are training providers (in a broad sense)

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  4. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Fair play GBL, but that's your opinion and not everyone elses8)

5. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Is that because you've got things on your mind or stressed or just because your a party animal:twisted:

6. greenbrucelee

I got into debt big time when I was at uni. Who knows maybe this has predudiced me against paying for courses. I know for a while at uni I never slept and it didn't matter how much ganja I smoked and vodka I drank. The thing is my debt has passed I don't smoke weed all day long or drink vodka when I am on the piss, I still don't sleep.

7. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Interesting:hhhmmm what course did you read at University?:blink

8. greenbrucelee

I did Business Computing at Leeds.

9. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Interesting thread.

One thing I have noticed from people who I know who are working in IT is that they are interested in how *many* certs they can get for x amount of money.

For example I was talking to a guy last week who said he could get on a course that would get him MCDST and MCSE for £2k but there was another one that would get him the CCNA as well for the same price.

He then said to me “Isn’t that a great deal?”. I just agreed as I couldn’t be bothered with the BS that day!

To be honest if you want to pass certs you only need one thing, motivation! If you can pick up a book and read a few chapters after a hard days work and perhaps configure a few things on a virtual server (or whatever) then that’s all you need to pass certs and truly understand the concepts.

Classroom training is great but can cost big money. Also when you are in a classroom you are not working which can mean a big workload the next day, I know it works out that way for me. Thats why I do all my cert related work in my own time. It’s been worth it as I have a few certs to my name and they have helped me progress my career. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  10. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Excellent point, trouble is IT is not a 9-5 job for most people and one weeks worth of training a year with the companies annual £2k training budget won't cut it. You need to constantly train and retrain yourself to be successful in IT.

If they want to compare number of certs against cost myself or BM will blow them away, self study is always the cheapest and often the most efficient too.

I have had some professional training in my career paid for by previous employers, 90% of it was non cert related, 10 courses at around £2-3k a pop. Around 70% of my self study in my career was also non cert related. Literally many thousands of man hours and reading 100's of computer books.

I also have a HND, an Honors Degree, and around 11 certs.

When someone goes for a job that has spent £2-4k on a few certs spoon fed to them do you think the employer is gonna be impressed ? :rolleyes:

I think traditional education and college learning should not be lumped in with training providers for the survey.
    I also think its quite easy to make a comparison of what you think a training provider offers relative to college courses and self study and conclude its generally poor value for money.

Anyone who can't be motivated to read at least 5 computer/work related books a year should really get out of IT...

11. greenbrucelee

Exactly right although getting in in the first place is the hardest part.

Agreed

Agreed again. There is a total difference between learning at a college and learning at a TP.

Not so sure about 5 but I agree that some technical manuals/magazines or books should be read. Keeping up with technology and your specific role should be a mandatory thing as IT is always changing.

12. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

A super poll UCM, thank you for bringing it up. I selected the following:

Everyone that knows me on here, should know I've used a TP, and which one. I have also selected that it was distance learning, as it technically is - they chuck the material at you, and you do your stuff. There were workshops available for classroom-led practical training, but I declined to attend.

I have also used self-study, and I have to say (although there are a lot of other factors involved) I have found it incredibly difficult to stay motivated and put myself through enough study to get to an exam-competent level in any one subject area. I'm working on it, but with the TP, I had periodical kicks up the behind. If I hadn't submitted anything for ages, I'd get notifcations and reminders... timed nagware, but nagging nevertheless :)

I have no bad opinon of the training provider. They have delivered what they said they would deliver. Yes it's an expensive way to go, but at the end of the day when you sign up for these things you also remember that it's a business, and they're in it to make profit. I agreed the price when I signed on the contract for the TP, and I can't dispute that as a bad decision as I'm an adult, and had reasonable time to consider all the options and felt it was still a good idea. At the time I was new to IT study, and didn't work in the field. With hindsight, I wouldn't change what I had done, as it may mean that I would not be in the position I am in now - I was first line supervisor in six months of starting my first IT job. *trumpets abound*

Whilst self-study must be advocated first and foremost as the most logical and cheapest option sometimes it just isn't for you. With the right kind of research and commitment to the course, not all TPs turn out to be devils' spawn.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  13. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

14. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Thank you Arroryn:super a truley excellent post.

That'sinteresting you get nagged from the TP? I always wondered if they have a student portal on their website? Do they even have a forum?

15. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

I wonder if all these tp's change their fee's to a more realistic value. Woud this change peoples mind/feelings about them or is it more to do with how the courses are run and how the courses are taught?:blink

16. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

You can still take the certs self study to demonstrate learning. A training provider is in no way required for this.

There are some similarities, especially to badly run college or university courses. I think the main difference is that there are some standards for colleges and universities. Also the general level of support I recieved and number of hours of direct tuition i recieved was excellent, the cost per hour of quality tuition which should be the true metric is therefore much lower. The number of direct contact hours for training providers seems very low in general.

In the ideal case a college or university will ideally have some academic principles and will not allow unsuitable students on their courses and will teach fundamentals and not just what is the latest fashion or in demand by students targeted by corporate marketing.

Good university experience will set you up for something better, this is not always on offer in all jobs, you could easilly spend years on menial tasks.

Well I was being deliberately provocative, but I still believe this to be true, see how long a career as a programmer would last otherwise, if you do the minimum you will quickly be surpassed by those who do more and not only will you not progress but you may also fail to retain your current position.

Basically the training provider message of a gravy train for lazy people with £4k does not exist...

17. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

:hhhmmm good post dmarsh26..thanks for your feedback:thumbleft

18. greenbrucelee

If I were an employer I would be more impressed by the guy who say had the A+, N+ and MCDST through self study than the guy who has the A+,N+,MCDST and MCSA through a TP but thats just my opinion.

Yes uni had a great tuition and support for me too but we were also told that a good wage awaited for us when we finished, which I believed at the time.

Exactly right, a uni or college will only accept a student if they have the required grades, a TP will accept anyone if they have the cash.

University does not always work out well for someone.

19. Mr Machfisto

Mr Machfisto Nibble Poster

Hi guys

You are everyone so far who has used a TP. Can we know which one you used?

Arroryn, Bluerinse, disarm, Dunny, Ence, Gingerdave, JonnyMX, Mr Machfisto, Mr.Cheeks, UCHEEKYMONKEY, UKDarkstar, wagnerk, zcapr17

I'll start:

I used NITLC

20. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Very true - to get any cert through self study shows a level of keeness and motivation 8)

And yet people still believe the promotional spill from tp's and university. So! tell me GBL why didn't you research the industry before your degree?? Instead of taking face value of what was said/promise from your degree?:blink

It's a question of what you put into a degree/course you get out of it!

Let's face it if you do the minimum then you'll get very little out of it!8)