Training lab setup

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by UKDarkstar, Aug 12, 2008.

1. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

OK guys, a little help here if you please.

Whilst I finish off my ITIL Foundation studies I need to get my lab setup ready for MCSE (and all variants in between).

I have a couple of spare pc's lurking around but would need to get a kvm switch as I'm short on monitors and kb/mouse. Is this the way to go or do I just shove another drive into my main home machine (currently dual boot to xp pro for personal/gaming use and vista business for serious online study etc) and then use vmware to setup server and a couple of virtual pcs ?

Also, with vmware, if I'm adding a drive in for the server and pcs, do I need to partition it up first or do I do that from the vmware install (which would be from the Vista boot) ?

Sorry, bit of a vmware noob here.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  2. SuPaStA

SuPaStA Nibble Poster

Just use vmware and install server 2003 on ur current pc that is enough to pass your mcse.Probably best to use xp for your virtual machines as its not as mem hungry as vista.

Certifications: CCNA,MCSE,ITIL,Server+,Security+,N+...
    WIP: CCNP
  3. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

Thanks and, yes, was gonn ause Xp for the pcs.

What about the drive - does that need partitioning first or not ?

4. SuPaStA

SuPaStA Nibble Poster

No i meant the pc you using at the moment, just install virtualpc on that dont bother creating a new computer just for the virtual computer.You dont need to partition the drive for virtual pc.

Here is the link, install it now then play around with it.Any issues give me a shout.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/virtualpc/default.mspx

5. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

Ah gotcha - I have virtual pc from my MS Partner Action Pack. What about server 2003 tho', don't I need vmware for that ?

6. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Nope all MS os's can be created within vpc, only issue I have had with vpc is to do with linux virtuals so use vmware server for linux, but you will be fine for vpc for all your MS studying needs.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  7. SuPaStA

SuPaStA Nibble Poster

I have a few virtual pcs with linux on and havnt found any issues with it.

8. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

really!? hows that work then, whatever physical computer i've tried vpc and linux on it always plays merry hell with the gui if you install one. still im ok at the moment got vmware running ubuntu server 8 so dont need gui at the moment.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing