Training for Qualifications or Application?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Kitkatninja, Jun 14, 2008.

?

The training you've received was it mainly for Qualifications or Application?

1. The course was geared up only for the cert.

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. The course was geared up only for the application of the tech.

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. It was/is geared up for both, the cert and the application of tech

7 vote(s)
    70.0%
  4. Not sure, the course was boring/exciting, couldn't remember :)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

To see the whole blog, click here.

What are your thought on this? Have you attended training where the sole goal if to pass the certification?

As both an IT Manager and an IT Lecturer, I have to ensure that the classes I teach in the evenings have both goals in mind, on individual classes it may vary (depending on the subject) - but on the whole I try to ensure that students are prepared for the exams as well as able to use the technology.

I have seen trainers/lecturers that are better than me (the ones that taught me, very knowledgeable), I have seen trainers/lecturers alot worse than me (there have been a few that students have complained about, eg not facing the students when teaching, reading out of book/no real world experience, etc). So this poll is to see what kind of training you've received and how you've felt about it :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I advocate self-study! :thumbleft

Sorry, couldn't resist. :p

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

I have been on training that was geared specifically to help pass an exam - ITIL v3 Foundation - and others where it was aimed at learning how better to do my job - Mind Mapping.

Both tutors were good, and knew their stuff. The ITIL one was as boring as hell, basically because I didn't want to be there; however, the Mind Mapping one was excellent. Opened up my eyes to a new way of working.

As regards technical training specifically, I have been on a course for A+. The trainer said he wasn't there to 'help' us pass the exams; however, that was how the thing was sold to us. The trainer was next to useless and didn't appear to give a fig about whether we passed or failed. Several students did not take the exams at the end, which obviously kept the pass rate high.

Having attempted both self-study and tutor-led, I see a place for both. I will continue to use self-study and workplace experience to develop my skills; however, I do see a place for TPs in so much as they can help hone the skills of experienced people. In addition, they can help introduce people to the likes of IT with basic skills training.

I do not believe TPs should be advocating use of a course to take people from Ato Z, pass an exam and be ready to step into any walk of life, be it IT or anything else unless that person gets on the job experience as part of their training.

PS: You need another button, for those of us who have been on both types... :)

4. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I have received training recently on HDI fast track on service desk analyst ran by the "helpdesk institute" and the cert is equivalent to ITIL v2 level one. The content of the course was how to delivery an effective service desk, through good customer handling, communication, and achieving business ethics.

The course also included technology and network server infrastructure and how these should tie in to achieving the core business objective through providing an effective customer service using technology as well as human psychological aspects as well.

At the end everyone was given a voucher to sit for the HDI service desk analyst exam. All in all it was for delivery of business applications as well as for self and career improvement hence the cert which is meant to boost your CV. However, I must say am still a strong believer in self study but yes they both have their merits and vice versa.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell