Training Courses.

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Luddym, May 20, 2007.

1. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Hey guys,

Odd question here but, I started a job last week and one of the stipulations was that I was to finish my MCSA. The employer seems to be more than happy with sending me on the relevant courses, these being the 70-291's.

My question is this: I've done all my certs as self study so far, and am more comfortable working through things on my own than being course taught. I'm one of those question type of people that can get quite annoying for others in the classroom type of environment.

Would you tell the empyer you don't want to go on the courses and study like hell in the meantime, or go on the courses as they are ultimately free? (even those they are probably going to cost the employer several thousands.

Cheers guys.

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  2. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

That's a tough one to call, especially as you say it's a new job. If it were me personally... I would go on the course, just to keep him/her sweet. I wouldn't want them to think i was turning my nose up at their offer.

On the other hand, if you feel you would be better doing the self study. Iwas put it to him thst you have always done self study. Pointing out the fact you have in fact studied and completed a number of certification's through self dedication. In the process saving him thousands of pound's. He/she may find this very good to know. Money makes a business go round!

The differentiation's are quite apparent. Do what you feel is best for you.

Certifications: A+ N+
    WIP: Thinking of MCDST
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Talk to your boss about it, perhaps ask for a few days off work now and again for studying. Will save the company some cash by not forking out for the course and will hopefully speed things up as you will have some more time for studying.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I find that training courses typically go too slowly for me. I'd much rather study on my own, addressing whatever weaknesses I have rather than waiting on the "weakest link" in the class to catch up.

If I were your boss, I'd be thrilled that you would consider giving up expensive training courses to study on your own. That would allow me to send another person on a training course (increasing the skill of more of the IT staff), or give me more money in the budget for other things like hardware, software, or... salary increases. :clap

And getting a few days off in the bargain would be icing on the cake.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!