Training and career help

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Oxyfire, Mar 14, 2009.

1. Oxyfire

Oxyfire New Member

Hello everyone ive just recently joined the forums and require a little help.

I have a fair amount of experience building & troubleshooting pc's at home mainly doing friends and family's. So ive decided after years of working crap dead end jobs its time to start doing something i love. And my first step is going to be the A+ cert.

Now i have a bunch of questions which are:-

My next step should be Im guessing the Network+ cert?

At that point would i become employable by anyone?

Whats the difference between 1st, 2nd and 3rd line support?

Once i am employed im thinking of going the microsoft certified route. Being a pc technician which cert would i need?

And finally could someone tell me what a general career/certification path would look like doing what ive said

hope those questions arent to annoying or stupid :D

WIP: A+
  2. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Yes the usual route people take is the A+, Network plus and then the MCDST.

I've known people gain employment in IT before they have gained any certs. So you 'may' find employment before, during or after getting the A+/N+. It really depends on what the employer is wanting.

This will depend on the company you are employed at, as some have more than 3 and some have less. As a general rule though, the 1st liners will log the calls and read from a pre-written script. The 2nd liners will deal with more difficult cases, and the 3rd liners will deal solely with the hardest of cases.

This would probably be the same as the above - the MCDST.

The general cert path would be something along the lines of A+ --> N+ --> MCDST --> MCSA 2003 --> MCSE 2003. ALthough you could branch out into perhaps security and add the Sec+ to the list of certs.

HTH

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  3. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

For all i know you could be employable with out any certifications...

General view is A+ then N+ then MCDST but thats up to you

1st, 2nd, 3rd line are to do with dealing with situations 1st deals with basic stuff or passes it on up the line to 2nd or 3rd.

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  4. Oxyfire

Oxyfire New Member

thank you for the replys guys thats helped clear up a few little things i was wondering about. so next step is getting this a+ exam sorted, time to crack open that book i guess!

5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

You can get a job without certs or whilst studying for them. As NB said A+,N+ and MCDST for your first certs and when you get proper on the job experience then you can move on to higher certs.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. Oxyfire

Oxyfire New Member

ok thats cool ill have to start looking for a job now then and see if i get lucky