Trained but not Certified

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by itskillsguy, Jun 12, 2009.

1. itskillsguy

itskillsguy Nibble Poster

Read a very shocking report this morning about how training companies are ripping students off and was amazed when I read the fact:

8 out of 10 people who undertake A+ training in the UK do not take their certification. Therefore only 20% of people who train in CompTIA A+ actually certify.

Mad isn't it?
    Why would you not do this?
    It doesn't make any sense to me - how can you prove that your competent and that you have the skills to do the job?

thoughts?

2. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

People are lazy.

On my HND course (which everyone had to pay £4k ish for) only a handful of us actually graduated.

*meh*

More fool them.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  3. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Thats quite expensive isn't it. It wasn't the one with Oxford by any chance was it? I fancied going for that but no point now being a BSc. Jim

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  4. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

It depends, some people don't want to take the exams for one reason or another, or have failed the exam already so give up.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

When I started an MCSE 2000 with Amraf some year back (they went bust part-way through the course), they taught the N+ (and gave you a certificate) but you didn't do the exam.

I queried why and was told they just used the course material as an intro to MS networks. There was nothing to stop an individual student going off and sitting the exam privately but it wasn't part of the course and didn't seem to be "encouraged" on the basis that it wasn't a really well recognised cert, whereas MCSE was.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  6. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

From what I've heard on here it appears many people go with TP's because of pressure sales and bulk deals.

It appears some TP's seem to 'train' for A+ with a couple of lectures and provide access to a CBT. This allows them to sell their courses as no experience necessary. When in reality they don't train the basics and skip onto harder material.

I suspect the people don't take the exams because, they never learnt the material. They were probably never trained properly and therefore did not recieve the training they thought they'd paid for.

7. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

I can second Mr Marsh's comments in that wilst I have never used a TP, I have used CBT's and come away thinking "I still don't get it!"

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  8. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

No, it wasn't. £4k was a rough estimate. It's a two year full-time course and from what I can remember it was £2k per year.

In all honesty I wasn't too fussed about the specifics as I was on the only one on the course who had it fully paid for by my employer (not that I told anyone that :p)

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA