Traditional 3rd day report

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by ManicD, Jan 9, 2008.

1. ManicD

ManicD Byte Poster

Wow, 3rd day over and done with, anyway, as apparently is tradition here, i have to update everyone on my new job after the third day.

Day 1,
    was spent shadowing the guy i work with, the one who has done this for 10 years
    - got lost in building a zillion times
    - got introduced to everyone and remembers none of their names
    - helped swap 3 computers around into different rooms, pretty simple
    - Ended up fixing a laptop LAN problem, that he had spent 5-10 mins working on and had decided to re-image the laptop, i sat down and fixed it within a min. The issue was simply that someone had disabled the LAN Port. I'm scared that he didnt realise this as it was one of my first thoughts
    - Learnt how to use RM Management and the basics of how RM CC3 works, hve also learnt I HATE CC3!!!

Day 2,
    - got lost in building a many times
    - re-installed software for interactive whiteboards on teachers laptop, many many issues including the fact it decided to refuse to uninstall or install again, figured out it was another bit of software some teacher had installed that had screwed it up, then i fixed it.
    - Encountered patch panels and switches in the two comms cupboards, picked up how things were working pretty well.
    - Extended Wireless network to cover another area, in prep for careers day on Wednesday
    - got more pissed at CC3 for not allowing me to do things the proper way.

day 3
    - got lost a few times
    - other technician diagnosed that a interactive whiteboard itself was faulty and wanted to call out company who services them, i firmly believed it was a driver issue, proved this point, and then re-installed drivers and fixed the problem.
    - solved an issue getting PDA's to connect to wireless network, my boss had been trying to sort this since before Christmas, i googled it and sorted it in one morning. (she will find out that i solved the problem tomorrow when she comes in)
    - semi made peace with CC3
    - fixed yet another whiteboard issue.....and then the boss told me these things rarely break... i've done 3 in 3 days!!!

I'm trying to seem as humble as possible but I seem to be fixing problems that my bosses cant, and both of them have been doing this for 8-10 years.... should i be worried? I dont want to come across as a know-it-all or something, but i cant help it if i can fix things they cant :hhhmmm

I dont want them to get annoyed at me showing them up? any advice?

Certifications: MCSA, N+, A+(Tech), ECDL
    WIP: 70-294, 70-298
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Some people in their jobs get stuck in a rut so to speak, take for instance one the IT guy at our place he has told me many times that he hates computers but doesn't know anything else so he plods along with things for ages to just to space out his month.

I would say to you not to come over as a know it all but not in a way that makes you look like you don't know anything, and try not to show your bosses up too much as bad feelings can cause big problems for a newbie.

Let us know how it goes, good luck.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

It would probably be worse if they assigned you these tasks and you *didn't* fix them. I can only assume that they are giving you these jobs with the expectation that you'll get them sorted, which you are doing. Treat it as "business as usual" neither making too big a deal of it or making it seem as if it were too easy. Keep observing how the bosses react to your successes but don't assume what those reactions will be.

Sounds like a fine first three days. Keep up the good work.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You were hired to do a job, so just do the best job you can. If that means fixing problems, fix them as efficiently and as quickly as possible. Just stay humble and pleasant.

If you were my employee, and you fixed something I couldn't, I wouldn't feel threatened... I'd learn from you about what you did to fix it! But I'm just wired like that.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Interesting, either the people you work with have managed to get into IT by speaking total BS and get away with it or they just can’t be bothered with it anymore. I don’t know if there is any urgency to fix problems as if there isn’t they can drag on for months as no-body chases up for when the problem will be resolved.

Don’t be worried about showing up your bosses, if a problem can’t be fixed by them volunteer to ‘have a look at it’ and if you get it fixed just move on to the next job. Does sound like you are getting some good hands on experience so that’s always a good thing. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. ManicD

ManicD Byte Poster

I think their experience in IT is limited to RM CC3, i dont know how much about what it is actually doing behind the scenes they know, which worried me. everything seems to be 3rd party ran, which in my experience means slower computing and less reliability.

7. Sparky

Is the network support outsourced?

Also what network infrastructure do you have (servers etc.), hopefully you will get the domain admin password at some point! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  8. ManicD

ManicD Byte Poster

its a server 2003 enviroment, from what i can tell theres three domain controllers a exchange server and a couple of other servers for file storage.. not really been in the server room much, a couple f quick glances and thats it.

the other admin gave me his password today cause he was fed up of me keep asking him to log on so i could do stuff. With RM its an all or nothing thing going on, one level has full permissions that i can see them not wantingto give a new employee and the next level down has bugger all, i couldnt even get into add remove progs

9. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Manic - Does your school have any plans to put you on the 3 day CC3 course?

Of course with CC4 just around the corner you could always start suggesting vanilla (or my Fav - Ranger!). Dont step above your station though! :biggrin

10. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  11. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

12. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  13. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Snap vanilla with Ranger, what we have :) Well ranger on the student PC's and only Ranger remote control on certain staff members laptops.

This is CC3. It's an add-on to a Windows network. And in my opinion is cr*p.

ManicD remember the majority (not all, mind you) of people who work in the IT depts in school are ex-teachers, or people who do not really come from a technical backgrond. It's only recently that the Government brought in the teachers can't dual-role (academic/support) & pushing IT in school's, that school's have to get serious about the technical side of things. The 3 IT managers before me were teachers (and IT technical dept actually came under the ICT academic dept) and they didn't know half the things that a 2nd support tech should know. That's why RM became so popular it made networking "easy" for non-technical people.

However it does with a price, PC's run "practically" at half their speed. If you needed to change anything, it wasn't as easy as modding a setting in AD. One good thing about RM though is the way you can rebuild a PC with a "click of a button".

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  14. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

Its difficult ground to tread as you are eager and keen to solve problems but at the same time belittling your colleagues or showing them up will cause rifts in the team.

I've done alot of courses and learning and feel i have a good grasp of a wide range of subjects but i'm always learning. If someone more junior than me fixes a problem i've looked at i always ask them to show me how they did it. It's a learning experience for me and empowers them. If they mocked me then we would have issues..... no doubt your bosses know alot more about other aspects of your new network than you do. It's about sharing a getting the job done as a team as efficiently and effectively as possible.

One day you help them... the next the favour is returned. Nothing worse than being stuck in a team with people who think they know it all and wont share knowledge.... and try and keep u in the dark.

And if you're confident you are that much better than they are then there is nothing wrong with knowing it deep inside and shining in your job without shouting it from the stands at every opportunity. People will notice and there is no harm in you planning your next IT move as it will give you confidence that you are a good IT pro.

There have been times in my younger days when i was confident i knew more..... then was quickly b*tch slapped back into place when i was proved wrong!!! :ohmy:D

Certifications: See my signature...
    WIP: Maybe re-certify my CCNA
  15. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Manic I think you should tread carefully as I smell a bit of know it all type of attitude coming from you. Just work hard and learn as much as you can but remember team work and effective communication. Best wishes in your new role.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  16. Sparky

Unusual comment. :blink

Think the lad is just finding his feet in his first IT job, nothing wrong with that. 8)

17. ManicD

ManicD Byte Poster

This is my main issue, the school cant afford high spec hardware then they slow it further but adding CC3,

I looked at task manager earlier and found almost 25 RM programs running, thats a serious resource drain!!

18. shaggy

shaggy Byte Poster

Sounds like a good job

as for being better than your bosses, good, dont stop fixing things, you were hired to support the IT department so do the best you can, if that means being better then your boss then so be it, maybe it will make him realise its time he did something else, then you'll be the boss man!

Certifications: BND ICT Systems Support and Networking
    WIP: A+
  19. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Hi Sparky, no flame intended just an honest opinion:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  20. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Keep up the great work and don't be shy to do well. If you understand more then some of your peers then there's nothing wrong with that. Have an open mind and like others mentioned here be humble and listen because there's always something new to learn. The great thing about IT is that you never stop learning, everyday something is different, a new challenge, a project, etc.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA