TP - with Work Experienced ?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Dave_unemployed, Feb 25, 2010.

1. Dave_unemployed

Dave_unemployed Nibble Poster

Hello,

Recently i was made redundent and got a small redundencie pay, and now looking for a career change. I used to build desktop for friends and families and i always enjoy diagnosing desktop problems, wether it was hardware or software i would always find the problem and fix it.

Anyway, from the title, my question basically is, are there any TP that offeres work experienced?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP and MCDST
    WIP: 70-680
  2. Dave_unemployed

Dave_unemployed Nibble Poster

never mind, seems theres no such thing :cry:

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP and MCDST
    WIP: 70-680
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

If you do a search on here you will find some people who were happy with their TP but you will find most people self studied to avoid the high costs of going with a TP and the false promises that they make.

Have a look at the advent thread were thousands of people have been left paying loans to banks for a course and company that no longer exsists.

If your looking for experience while you self study why not volunteer with a charity in their IT dept?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

TPs provide training, not work experience. If they did, they'd be called Work Experience Providers (WEPs). :)

That said, there are quite a few TPs that promise/guarantee work experience. Don't buy into it! Use a TP for what they're for: training. Anything else they can provide is gravy... but don't count on it. Read the forums - there have been quite a few disappointed folks who expected their TP to get them work experience that never came.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Sadly, work experience and apprenticeships seem to be a dying thing.
    With the current pressure for jobs and the stuff with minimum wages, fluffy bunny insurance clauses etc, you can't just go and help out somewhere anymore.

The good news with IT, is that you can gain a decent amount of hands on experience in your own home.
    For some of the entry level certs, all you need to have is a PC to play around with. For some of the others, it's not too hard to set up a lab of sorts.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD