Towards MCSE...

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Gotrekk, Apr 26, 2007.

1. Gotrekk

Gotrekk Bit Poster

Hello,
    I'm Antonio and I just started my studies for the CompTIA A+ certification. I have more than one year IT experience but, after moving in London, I noticed that in order to get a good job, I need some certifications.
    So I planned to get the MCSA certification first, and the MCSE then, after some more experience. I was wondering if the process I had in mind is correct or if I should change something:
    My idea was to get the CompTIA A+ certification, then the CompTIA Network+, followed by the MCSA 2003. After these 3 ones, will I be able to get the MCSE certification or do I need some more elective exams? Is the MCSA 2003 elective for the MCSE 2003?

Thanks in advance
    Regards,
    Antonio

Certifications: Comptia A+, Comptia N+
    WIP: MCSA, MCSE
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi,

I would actually recommend doing the A+, Network+ (maybe the MCDST), followed by the MCSA (as you already have at least a year in IT) and when you feel comfortable go for the MCSE.

I believe the MCSA 2000 is an elective for the MCSE 2k3. However if you achieve the MCSA 2k3, if you could, you wouldn't want to use it as an elective as that would mean more exams (an extra 6 exams).

Once you get your MCSA 2k3 all you would then have to do is top-up to achieve the MCSE 2k3 cert. This would be an extra four exams (from MCSA 2k3 to MCSE 2k3) as the Comptia A+ & Network+ doesn't count towards the MCSE.

Hope this helps

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. Crito

Crito Banned

CompTIA Security+ counts as an elective for both MCSA and MCSE though.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: none
  4. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Welcome to the forum and best wishes with your cert studies.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!