Tough Choices

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by NetEyeBall, Jan 20, 2007.

1. NetEyeBall

NetEyeBall Kilobyte Poster

Tough Choices

I have been with my company for 3 years now (in the IT field since 1998). I have a good position in the NOC. I have been building relationships with network engineering (Where I want to go). But recently my schedule has been really screwed. I now get every other weekend off (I work nights). So I will see my girl friend very little plus I work nights which means I have trouble sleeping and have a poor quality of life. The money is good, however.

Another position caught my eye. It looks similar to what I am doing although it has a bit more security focus (Which is also where I want to go). Here is the write up.

JOB SUMMARY:

Maintain records of equipment failure and liaise with engineers and suppliers as necessary. Configure and triage firewall and other security equipment/services. Escalate client problems according to established procedures. Manage the network and security components using network management tools, analyze network performance and discuss network and network security enhancements with senior engineers. Analyze security performance to ensure adequate protection and response. Recommend enhancements to the network/security infrastructure, and enhance proactive network management tool set based on analysis of active issues and past problem signatures.

Troubleshoot network problems on the campus network, remote locations and countrywide area network though to resolution, occasionally with guidance from more experience staff, depending on the complexity. As a team member or with assistance from others perform project engineering including requirement definition, design of solution in compliance with corporate standards, implementation, testing through to production. Respond to monitor alarms to identify the root cause of an outage and coordinate the corrective action in line with existing procedures and practices. Provide on-call support services as required.

Installation and ongoing maintenance of the networking and security infrastructure will also be the responsibility of the Network Engineer. This position will work closely with the resident Network Planning & Engineering group and the data center directors in accordance to Oracle standards. On call 7 x 24 pager duty, rotating shift work, and weekend availability are required.

Preferred Qualifications:

Education:
    • Bachelors Degree in Computer Science, Telecommunications, Information Systems, Business Administration – or equivalent experience.
    • CCNA (Cisco Certified Network Associate) or equivalent experience
    • RHCE (Red Hat Certified Engineer) a plus
    • CISSP (Certified Information Systems Security Professional) a plus

Experience:

• 1 – 3 years hands on experience supporting a primarily Cisco network infrastructure for a Fortune 500 multinational corporation.
    • 1 – 2 years working directly with internal and external customers troubleshooting complex LAN and WAN problems.
    • Hands on experience in an outsourcing, collocation, or ISP environment desirable.
    • Application Traffic Management (F5) experience desirable.
    • Prior NOC experience a plus.

Knowledge/Skills:

• Mastery of the skills required to troubleshoot complex WAN and LAN protocols
    • Thorough understanding of layer 2 troubleshooting including; VLANs, STP, and Trunking
    • Demonstrated documentation and project management skills
    • Proficiency with SSH, TFTP, X-windows, Telnet, Ping, Tcpdump, Snoop
    • Hands on experience with Openview, CiscoWorks, MRTG, NetScout and protocol analyzers.
    • Strong analytical problem solving skills
    • Ability to interact effectively with other technical and non-technical resources
    • Ability to quickly establish comfortable & effective working relationships
    • Strong technical knowledge of client/server and Internet concepts and techniques. DNS, BGP, OSPF & HSRP experience a plus
    • Strong oral and written technical and interpersonal communication skills including sensitivity to customer and the user community
    • Familiar with Linux and/or UNIX and Windows CLI

Now I don’t have everything, but quite a bit of what they are looking for. So I would be risking security, my relationships which may or may not help me get into the engineering position. I would have to sell my modest home, pack up and move across the country. It is a mixed blessing though since this job is in a location that I really would like to live in. On the down side, I am not financially prepared for the move. I could do it, but most likely I would have to move out there keeping my home in Nashville, and try to get it ready to sell.

Should I give my current position another year or two (getting ready for the move) or make hay while the sun shines?

Certifications: CCNA, A+, N+, MCSE 4.0, CCA
    WIP: CCDA, CCNP, Cisco Firewall
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

What area of the country? I can tell you that there aren't as many places as nice as Nashville, especially with our low cost of living. You'd be abandoning a girlfriend as well, unless she's willing to move across country with you.

That said, you might be worrying for nothing... you have to get the job before you have to move for the job. ;)

Give me a call, we'll do lunch this week and discuss it, bro.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. NetEyeBall

Will do. Thanks!

4. NetEyeBall

That a new local oppertunity might be coming up!!!!! I am SOOOO crossing my fingers.

5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Me too. After all, we just met, and we can't just do lunch once or twice. :D

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. NetEyeBall

Now I am worried about pulling off the interview! I know I would be an asset but how to make sure they know that...I will have to brush up on my STARS interview skills. Damn I want it soooo bad. Days and more hands on!