touch screen monitors

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by steve_p1981, Jul 11, 2011.

1. steve_p1981

steve_p1981 Byte Poster

been looking into touch screen monitors for the epos machines at work as the boss wants to do away with the keyboards to free up space on the counter. Fair enough, i thought so i said we were all going to get aching arms from reaching up all the time. He said he wants to have them on the counter!!!! any way my question is, i know very little about touch screens and was wondering if there was anything i need to look out for. I have already got a backup for the key board in the on screen one that you get with windows. As far as i can tell the monitor responds like a mouse pad. Do i need any software / hardware to make my existing systems running xp work with the monitor?

Certifications: A+ 220-701 and 220-702
    WIP: none at current but poss 70-680 soon
  2. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Should be plug n play really, the monitors will act as an input device and a display device.

Wouldn't like to trust that windows on screen keyboard, it's not the best one going.

Not sure if the monitors supply their own keyboard software / input device? Havn't actually used them myself, havn't had a need to just yet - but they can be beneficial depending on the work the machines used for primarily

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  3. PPD2387

PPD2387 Byte Poster

We use Iiyama Prolite T1731SR at work - very good quality monitors. They come with their own software and connect via USB for the comms.

4. steve_p1981

steve_p1981 Byte Poster

great, i'll look into this tomorrow as ti's for the boss, i'm sure he can't complain at me doing some window shopping for him lol. Does the monitor you mentioned come with any software thatlets you use a keyboard on the screen for what ever program is currently running? I was thinking to get one of those acer laptops that you can alos use as a tablet but i don't think the specs are good enough for what we need.

5. PPD2387

PPD2387 Byte Poster

The monitors don't come with any on-screen keyboard software.

6. steve_p1981

steve_p1981 Byte Poster

ok i'll still have a look, i'm sure i can source some software if i need too :-)