Toshiba L300D

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by keithmoon, Jan 30, 2010.

1. keithmoon

keithmoon Byte Poster

alright lads,

I have one of the above and it keeps switching off on me. From a cold start I maybe get 20 mins then it dies on me. if i switch it back on i maybe get 10 mins and then it does it again, each time i switch it back on the cut off time gets shorter and shorter until it wont switch on until maybe an hour or so has passed. any ideas?
    cheers all

2. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

Battry?

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  3. zr79

zr79 Byte Poster

I take it you are using the adapter, try with no battery also.

Maybe the adapter is on it's way out it's hard to do as adapters are expensive but you really want to try another adapter, otherwise you can buy a cheap multimeter and then google for a guide to test the voltages.

Also google to see if it is a common problem with that laptop.

Then you are looking at breaking down the laptop too bare bones and then stick it in the oven!

Certifications: A+
  4. MLP

MLP Kilobyte Poster

Just to add, we've got a few of these at work, and have had to replace about 50% of the chargers, although, as they are 11-15 year old kids, most have been down to abuse.

Also, check that the jack where the power adapter fits in isn't loose. We've had one or two where they've pushed the adapter in at an angle or something, and pushed it the other side further into the laptop chassis.

Good luck.

Maria

Certifications: HND Computing
  5. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

A silly question but have you had a go with a can of compressed air? to be it sounds like it's overheating and that it's a thermal cutout switch thats cutting in and shutting down the laptop.

If I were you I would feel how hot it is and perhaps clean out some of the gunk from the fans (I used to have it with an old Fujitsu Amilo D laptop, every 6 months or so I would have to take it apart and clear it out, you gotta love cat fur).

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  6. keithmoon

keithmoon Byte Poster

thanks for the replys,
    After taking the laptop apart i have noticed that the fan only spins for the first 10 few seconds and then cuts off, should the fun run constantly from hitting the power button? if so anyone know what could be wrong?

thanks all

7. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I would suspect it should do, that's the idea of fans, they run (but sometimes at variable speeds of course).
    You need to get it replaced because that's whats causing the thermal cutout.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  8. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

Well it may not be the problem.

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  9. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

The fan isn't the problem. It works. What's controlling the fan is the problem.
    It is also possible that, to conserve energy in a laptop, the fan is designed to be completely off below a certain temperature threshold. I'd be surprised if no manufacturer does that.
    If the fan doesn't switch on before the laptop switches off (it does sound like thermal cut-out because of the ever decreasing up-times) then the culprit lies somewhere in the BIOS/mobo.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  10. keithmoon

keithmoon Byte Poster

mmmmmmmm good thinking. i shall watch the fan carefully :)

11. zr79

zr79 Byte Poster

Have you repasted the cpu/gpu, have you got the motherboard totally stripped down, just cpu, ram and power, even take out the wireless card etc, unscrew every peripheral, then run it for a while.

Personally i would try reflowing it, i think it perfectly safe to do.

Certifications: A+
  12. keithmoon

keithmoon Byte Poster

thanks again for the replys,
    sorry to be such a noob but what does reflowing mean?

13. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

I would have said overheating aswell. I had a laptop that was overheating.....well the hard drive was which caused the machine to overheat, It would'nt even stay on long enough for me to Ghost the drive. So after thinkning for a while I got some of those Re-freezable Ice blocks from a cool box and sat the laptop on them (with a tea towel to soak up any water/drips etc of course) the hard drive Ghosted fine, I swapped it out for a new one and the laptops been running sweet as a nut ever since. :D

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346