Torrenting - Illegal and Legal issues

Discussion in 'Software' started by Benjaminpott, Feb 1, 2009.

1. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If you're worried about it, and you don't want to get caught doing it, simply don't do it. Is it REALLY worth the potential hassle if you ARE caught??

If it's worth using, it's worth buying. And as someone who makes his living off of the sale of intellectual property, know that you're stealing what somebody worked hard to create.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  2. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

oh dear...another sock puppet! So what did you get banned for last time then?

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  3. drum_dude

I think you'll find it's the BPI that deal with this stuff in the UK. And below is a link to what's in store for the rest of us:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009/jan/29/digita-britain-rights-agency-planned

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
  4. Wassup

Wassup Byte Poster

goodbye

5. drum_dude

yes and don't let the door hit you on the way out

6. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

You'll be sorely missed. Don't go. :sniff

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

ok guys, enough! :offtopic

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  8. Slipmatt

Slipmatt Bit Poster

That Depends. The Pirate Bay is hosted in Sweden, A respected EU Country. Where it is not classed as illegal to host torrents as the torrents themselves are not illegal. Its the content itself that is illegal which The Pirate Bay does not host. Of course its a very grey area.

Certifications: None
    WIP: CompTIA A+
  9. drum_dude

But what\who isn't a respected EU country? And if you were taxing your population at 50% wouldn't you tread carefully?

Sweden is covered with Cesium hotspots from the Chernobyl debacle and still they allow people to reside in those areas. Nowt respectable about Sweden.

But yes I do agree it is a grey area, even though they busted Pirate Bay in 2006 the site still lives. But I read somewhere that they are going to push through a bit of EU law that will allow cops to go after the users of Pirate Bay. Could be in place by April 2009.

And can I just point out something here to all involved in this thread. If you fileshare illegal material than that is fine as I don't give two hoots about what you do. However, it is a losing argument that CANNOT be defended in anyway whatsoever. Do it by all means at your own risk BUT don't try and justify what you do...there is no defence. Some things are best left as unspoken. The OP asked a question and he got his answer. Debating technicalities that will be eventually washed away with legislation is pointless. And yes it will affect all of us, only last week did I read that this glorious NuLabor govt is looking to impose a special levy on ISPs in the UK to counteract piracy. So even if you don't fileshare you will in fact pay for those who do! It's just the way it works...the majority cough up for the minority!

10. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

I love the idea of getting things for free even if that means stealing copyright material. When i used to buy cds ages ago it would cost me 4.50 for a cd single and say around 15 quid for an album. Now the cds have come down in price which i think would be down to costs and the record companies crapping themselves because they have been literally fleecing the poor customer and probably the artist as well.

Now its all moved to the digital side i think that there could be a way with using adverts to more or less get the tracks for free, though really i dont know if this would work, would you like to fill out a questionairre to get a free track ???

As for the legislation they tightened things up a while ago making filesharing illegal, but really i cant see them chasing people, for which there are a lot more than you think, for this type of crime. Yes its wrong but so is the way the record company manipulate the charts and pollute the airwaves with the same crap music.

BTW can someone explain the sock puppet thing i seem to have missed something here ta

ED

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Niiiice. It's attitudes like yours that put people like me out of work. :dry

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  12. TruthOrDare

TruthOrDare Bit Poster

I can't see this happening as it would be counter-productive to broadband take up.

Will this levy make a difference? Who is going to do the investigating? When it comes to independent artists/producers/programmers etc who do not have the resources to scour the internet looking for breaches, hire investigators and take out court orders, what use is this "help"?

This isn't a levy on piracy, it's just a levy to assist the big music/film companies who do not deserve any sort of help from our government. They have screwing the UK consumer for years with their vastly inflated prices compared to other countries (like the US for example).

Just for the record, I don't pirate anything.

WIP: A+
  13. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Shoplifting?
    Armed robery?
    Mugging grannies?
    Rape?

Slippery slope my friend...

:cry:

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  14. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I need some extra money this month, how about I steal your credit card get it cloned and buy what I need with it.

After all it's free:D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  15. TruthOrDare

TruthOrDare Bit Poster

Oh come on, you can't compare piracy to that.

When you pirate something, you are not taking anything physical or causing any direct harm to other people.

Yes, you are depriving the copyright holder of the money you would have given them if you were to buy the item in question but would actually have no effect if the person was never going to buy the product in the first place.

Piracy doesn't leave people traumatised, afraid for their life or housebound due to fear.

That isn't to say I condone piracy, because I don't, I just think the comparisons are completely wrong.

16. greenbrucelee

how about someone has made something that he or she gets paid for but because people are copying it then that person doesn't get the royalties they deserve.

what happens if that person has kids who have a birthday coming up and they want a certain present but the person can't get it them because they haven't got enough money because some robbing bar steward can't see the bigger picture?

Stealing is stealing, if people didn't copy then companies wouldn't raise their prices as much as they do. In the end it's the honest person who ends up paying for other people pirating material.

17. TruthOrDare

TruthOrDare Bit Poster

If someone who was going to buy a product but then decided to pirate it, then that is a lost sale. However, in no way does it mean that that person is going to start "mugging grannies" or "rape" someone and that was the point I was trying to make.

I am not defending piracy. I am just saying that if the person who is pirating was never going to buy the product in the first place, it doesn't affect the copyright holder in any way as they would never have got any royalties even if the item was not available to pirate. It isn't something physical, by where if you take it, it isn't available for anyone else to buy.

Companies wouldn't reduce their prices, they would just make more profits. Why would they reduce their price if people are willing to pay what they are paying now?

18. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

But... if that person believes that they'll never get caught, then they may decide to go just that little bit further... and further... small time crook to bad ass villain. It happens. That's all he's saying. OK, not eveyone who pirates will become a granny basher; however. if even only one does, as a consequence of believing he/she is untouchable, then that is a step too far...

No offence but that argument is complete nonesense. OK, I'll torrent the new Killers album. I was never going to buy it, so that makes it OK... does it? :blink

19. greenbrucelee

Beleive me when I say there are big gangster types at the end of the line when it comes to piracy and these people are also invloved in other crimes like rape, extortion and robbery.

Yes there are the average man on the street type people who do but there is a bigger element to it aswell

20. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Well to be honest even though the ads say it on the telly, not all piracy leads to crime, i find myself being able to resist the urge to rape, thats due to the fact i get plenty from my GF. And because im listening to music thats pirated doesnt mean im off to jack up in about 5 mins after ive typed this message.

I do think its wrong but the way i se it is the music industry is getting a taste of its own medicine. How long have they been overcharging for thier music, i remember once buying a whole album just for one song, which ost 15 quid, and then getting it hoome and it was the wrong version. Could i get my money back, no because i had played it.

I think that if the cost of music comes down to an acceptable level then piracy will be seen as something that people will think well its not worth it. And thats what people in the record industry have to do realise that this can be tackled in a way that benefits all

Now ive just had a break and i decided to write some stuff on a random wall with a paint can, so it seems i am on the slippery slope and i think extreme vandalism is next on my CV. If i get an ASBO can i count it as a qualification.

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680