too trusting

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by zxspectrum, Jul 8, 2007.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Hi folks i need a bit of advice here

My problem is i tend to see the best in people for some reason. Anyway 2 tennants have moved out of our student house and the electric bill came 2 days later. Its for just under 250 gbp.

Now they left and took my number, these people are a couple by the way so we worked it out that they will owe 49 each. Weve tried to contact them but no response from the phone and i know they have my number etc, now i think they are not going to pay.

But i dont know what to do about it

Has anyone had any trouble in this department at all with other students

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Unfortunatley you will have to get the police, but unless you have a written agreed (i.e their names are on the bills etc) then I dont think you you can do anything about it.

Now I had a similar situation when I was at university fortunatley for me, I know some scary very large dangerous people from when I was a bit of a naughty boy so I had my scary freinds visit the people who were attempting to rip me off and they happily handed their money over.

But unless you know people like that then you may have been done.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

The police can't do anything. Unless they are the addressee of the bill then they have not committed a criminal offense. You and your housemates knowingly allowed them to use the utilities.

As said, if there is nothing detailed in the tenancy agreement clearly stating that they are responsible for the utility bills, or the housemates as a whole are (which is a very vague statement anyway, and can be challenged), the addressee of the bill will have to stump-up the cash.

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.
  4. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

That sucks to see these people rip you off like that dude, but who knows maybe they'll call you never know.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  5. zxspectrum

Im toying with the idea of a baseball bat to be honest. After all the favours ive done for them etc. I know id get into trouble tho and i like to cut my nose off to spite my face at times, and to be honest i hate going down that road.

But i know of people who would help me out on this. There is not written agreement as such. Now i do know their name is on the water bill as is all our names, but theres only one name on the electric bill. I spose we could claim that we pain them the money for the water bill so that they had to pay that and i could get the other 2 to back me up saying that we had given them the money. If this would work then they would end up paying more than what the bill is now etc

Ed

6. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Honestly... if it were me I would locate them and calmly explain the situation, that it is unfair for them to renege on a debt, and hope that their sense of responsibility shines through.

If that didn't work, then I would become a little more forceful.

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  7. Lee

Lee Nibble Poster

Do you know which college / uni they go to? Give them a visit at school you might shame them into paying. Some students like to play at being rebels but when it's in their face they may not be so keen.

Certifications: A+ C Programming
    WIP: Network+
  8. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Track them down, find out where they live and then go round there and break their legs! Problem solved! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  9. Lee

Lee Nibble Poster

Good idea! Bit extreme for £45 a piece though, maybe just the nose. :dry

Certifications: A+ C Programming
    WIP: Network+
  10. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

A lesson they will never forget. 8)

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
  11. Mathematix

Here are your options, but only if there is a written agreement clearly stating that they are at least partly responsible for payment of the electricity utility bill:

1. Write them a letter in the first instance, keeping a copy, and sending it special/recorded delivery. That way they have to sign for it. or some other responsible party might, which confirms that they have received your letter. Wait a resonable time for them to reply. If there is no reply, then...

2. Consult a solicitor taking your tenancy agreement with you explaining the situation. For a fee the solictor will send them a letter in the same manner outlining their responsibilities under the agreement and how the law an be enforced against them. It is important to know that the solicitor's letter is not a court order, so they can also ignore that if they choose.

3. If the solicitors letter is ignored, the solicitor may offer you proceeding against them in a small claims court. Ultimattely, though, taking this route could cost you more than £250, but it's up to you - unless you are a student or unemployed you can claim legal aid.

4. If you are prepared to wait some time you could also visit the citizens advice bureau, but all they will give you is advice that you will untimately have to take up with a solicitor, anyway.

Visiting them to break their legs, or whatever, could land you with a criminal record for actual bodily harm and a prison sentence or fine. It's not recommended. If you send someone else to do the crime for you and they snitch on you that you sent them, you could be made an accessory to the crime which is also very serious.

I know that it's horrible, but take the route that is of least risk to you, even if it does mean that you have to pay the bill.

12. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Do you know where they live now? If so why not ‘pop round’ for a visit? Take some mail that was meant for them or something like that.

When you are there ask for the money and then they will probably hand it over. It’s easy to ignore a phone call but if you are there in person then it will be a different story.

No need for any agro but if needed have the baseball bat on standby! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  13. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Sorry Maths, but it's a vote for threats and tools from me as well, I'm afraid.

About ten years ago I decided I wasn't going to take any shite from anyone in my life any more. A couple of occasions this has, sadly, resulted in me taking the law into my own hands. I did, however, feel universally better for it on both occasions.

If you know where they're living now, pop round one afternoon unannounced and tell them, without pissing around, that you want your money. They already now full well you want it, otherwise they would have answered the phone. Give them a reasonable amount of time to pay it - say a fortnight, or a month, dependent on circumstances. The rest is up to you from that point. I would never advise anyone on here to knock someone about, but I am so heartily sick of people in every walk of life thinking they can just shirk financial responsibility and 'do a bunk' that, if this was me, then trust me - I WOULD be getting that money back.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  14. Mathematix

Fair enough, Zeb. I can see the frustration when people try to take liberties, but also try to understand that the law is there to protect both parties and come to a fair resolution. Just be aware, though, that if anyone visits someone on their premisses and behaves in a threatening manner, the tennant or owner of the property is justified in law to use reasonable force to surpress the threat. So, if you go at them with a baseball bat and they stab you for instance, in defence, as long as they can prove that you were wielding the bat with intent they can claim that their actions were in self-defense.

It's never a good idea, but if you do go do not enter their premisses.

15. zxspectrum

I have a get out clause to that thanks to vizs top tips. In my defence i can state that i thought they were going to throw a baseball at me lol

Ed

16. Mathematix

Lol!

Even though you would have to explain why you were close enough to hit them with the bat when it is normal in such a game for the pitcher to be a fair distance away out of striking range. Plus, baseball indoors?! :eek: :D

17. ay5000

ay5000 Bit Poster

The bill arrived 2 days after they left, fair play to them no? :twisted:

Seriously, try to locate where they live now and calculate a minus of 2 days from the bill and once you have the exact amount due from them, visit them and treat them the same you have ever treated them, do not let your simmering anger and suspicion take the better of you -- they do not know about the bill because it arrived after they left! Trust me, when moving away from a property to another one it's not easy to remember an overdue bill from the place you just left.

When you speak to them, be the same you've always been but be sure they pay you immediately, do not be lenient in the way you request the money -- the last thing you want mate is to be told "yeah we'll pay you, a cheque will be in the post first thing tomorrow" and then you'll be in a cycle of giving friendly reminders until you just don't get paid. Try to get the money immediately.

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+, ACDT & ACPT
  18. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Being serious now; Honestly I believe in verbal confrontations. Meaning that problems can be solved verbaly. If you stand your ground and speak direct and with a confident voice then things play a totally different game.

I used to fight a lot in school and stuff but eventually you get to a point where its no use unless you have no other choice, and usually there is always other options before throwing the first fist.

Even now, I am a martial arts instructor, I teach tae kwon do and believe me I know how to fight if I have to, but I never do because there is no point in hurting someone else unless like I said its the last resort and you have no other options.

19. zxspectrum

Well thakns fro all your advice folks, it seems my trusting instincts were put too good use. I have just recieved 100 quid in cash so all is well , plus i got a 2 quid tip out of it lol

But thanks for all your help on this, its good to know everyones opinion in these sorts of matters

Ed

20. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Glad you got it sorted:)

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house