Too Much to Do?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Luddym, Nov 17, 2007.

1. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Hey guys,

Do you ever step back and think 'am i trying to learn too much?'

About 3/4 weeks ago I gained my MCSA after about two years of on off study, and since have been studying really hard for my 293 (which I am going to sit next Monday using a microsoft 2nd shot). During the last 3 weeks I have attended an essentials Linux course (4 days) which was pure unix and no GUI, my office wants me to learn and administer 3 Red hat servers when I have no real experience of Linux and we have recently virtualised around 10 of our servers using VM GSX and now have to support from having no experience at all in office.

I'm being sent on a VM course in February, with the businesses intention of being the VM qualified office guru.

Does anyone else just sit back and wonder if too much is expected of them from others?

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

All the time...

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

At the moment thankfully I'm not in that position. I don't think I'd cope with the current situation with my private life. Even though I'm getting bored mooching round the flat being as I'm only working part time. I am starting to yearn for more work. Heck for the first time ever I'm going to watch the christmss lights being turned on in my town.

I think keeping busy is the best thing.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I know what you mean mate, welcome to IT :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I am in the same kind of situation. Here's my thing; I am studying for the 290 to take the exam soon, I have my math exam to study for, at work I have a few new things to keep learning like managing the anti-virus server, staying persistent in going to the gym. It's hard but like Wiz said, keeping busy is good, at least for me right now it is.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  6. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I have tons of stuff that I'd like to learn and get into, unfortunately I am only human and life tends to get in the way of these things.

The way that I find best to learn is to try and do a specific thing, i.e. You want to change a NIC's config in VMWare, focus solely on that and nothing else, forget about the other things you could be looking at.

Small steps, one thing at a time.

7. JohnBradbury

JohnBradbury Kilobyte Poster

Simon that's good advice. I know when I look at the big picture it always seems to get fuzzy, so much to do an so little time in which to do it. These days a systems admin [MS] has to learn more than your average degree student and that's just the everyday basic stuff. From there you'll be asked to learn a mixture of citrix, vmware, sql, isa, and sms. That's not including those companies who feel it would be useful to understand Cisco routers :blink

IT is certainly not a career for those who don't value continued professional development.

It got a lot harder for me once I had kids. I no sooner wake up and I'm ready for bed again, lol

8. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Excellent advice Simon. :rocks

I think the older you get the faster life seems to be. It's like being on a rollercoaster ride. life is moving too fast and IT is no exception.:biggrin:p

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+