Too Many Names...?

Discussion in 'A+' started by Gav, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

Hi All,

My full name is Gavin M J Smith (it's not actually Smith, but you get the picture). I booked, and sat my A+ Essentials exam with Pearson Vue.

When I sat the exam, they had my name as: Gavin M Smith. Whether that was my fault or theirs, I don't know. I've since contacted Pearson Vue, and they've ammended my profile with them to read Gavin M J Smith. However, CompTIA still have me as 'Gavin M Smith'

I contacted CompTIA and got this reply:

This seems a little weird, as surely I'm not the only one with two middle names!

I can provide CompTIA with the details they need, and then they will store my name as:
    First Name: Gavin M
    Middle Initial: J
    Surname: Smith

However, when I go to sit the next exam, I invision problems as Pearson Vue hold my name as:
    First Name: Gavin
    Middle Initials: M J
    Surname: Smith

Any thoughts on this? Seems a right pain.

I was thinking, would it be better to contact both CompTIA and Pearson Vue and ask them to remove my middle initials alltogether?

Thanks,

Gav

2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yup, much better in the long run mate.

Rule 1 in IT: Keep things simple. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

i have two middle names but rarely include the second, it just confuses the hell out of people and it's certainly not worth getting pedantic over :)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  4. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

I think I'll just not bother with either, it'll probably look better on the certificates anyway. Thanks :thumbleft

5. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I have two middle names, and I find that it completely random as to how registrations/companies/government handle them. :p

And the limitation of only one middle initial is very common.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  6. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

How have you got yours with CompTIA?

I'm trying to communicate with them via. e-mail but their replies are written as badly as their exam questions!

7. hbroomhall

It was a while ago - so I don't remember what happened when I signed up with Prometric - but I see from my archives that both Prometric and CompTIA show the first of my middle initials only.

Harry.

8. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

How does that appear on your certificates?

9. hbroomhall

Exactly the same way. First name in full - 2nd initial, 3rd initial ignored and surname.

Harry

10. grandpixel

grandpixel New Member

I am having a similar issue. I need to tell CompTIA what I want on my certificate. I know it is preference, but I can't find a reason to include or exclude my middle initial/name. This is only one of 2 threads I could find on the matter, so posting this to both. Just looking for an opinion that makes sense to me.