Today I met up with a CF member!

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by supag33k, Aug 3, 2007.

1. supag33k

supag33k Kilobyte Poster

Today I met up with a CF member!

I took a short coffee break and met up with Nugget from CF - who is in town catching with family for a few weeks.

We had a great chat for an hour or so about IT of course and life etc - before I had to race back to work!

Hopefully we will catch up again next week - before he goes back to Europe, and after I do the 70-296 exam next Wednesday the 8th August.

Its amazing that you can meet someone from the other side of the world [though aussie also] that you actually know of through a forum!

As I am in Perth I dont think I'll be meeting anyone else from the online g33k forum communities [UK and/or USA mainly] anytime soon...

Jeez I needed that break, thanks once again Nugget for your time! - for young family, work and study is always hectic!

Certifications: MCSE (NT4/2000/2003/Messaging), MCDBA
    WIP: CCNA, MCTS SQL, Exchange & Security stuff
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I met up with Tripwire last summer in Boise (My wife's family live just down the road)
    I think we had exactly the same feeling, for me its not that surreal to meet people from the other side of the planet, I have been doing so for yonks, in fact that's how I met my wife
    But it was still something to finally catch up with trip face to face and have out geek to geek chats over lunch at the mall :)

Glad you guys had a good time, its always a cool experience to catch up face to face

To trip:
    Look forward to catching up next time I'm in town buddy! :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I agree. It is a wierd feeling. We develop relationships online without the traditional communications and social cues so when we finally get a chance to have a "face-to-face", it seems odd at first.

To Phoenix: hopefully, we can do more than a long lunch next time. :wink:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I've lost track of how many people I've met from online... considering I've been doing BBS and online chat for 27 years, that's a lot of time to meet folks.

Unfortunately, I don't have any plans to visit the UK anytime soon to meet you fine folks... :(

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Invite them to Nashville. :biggrin :twisted:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

It's great that you had a chance to meet up Nugg and Supa tow of the finest forum representatives from downunder.

For those that do not realise, Perth is a long long way from where i am, well it's about a 5 hour flight. Otherwise, i would have jumped at the chance to join them :biggrin

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  7. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

That's cool you got to meet :) it just highlights how wonderful the internet can be, when used in the right way!

I, like Phoenix, met my other half online. It's also brought me some truly amazing experiences. The biggest example I use, is I first got into online forums due to the Bethesda/Elder Scrolls games. From a gaming forum, a group of us 'broke away' and formed a chatty social forum - there were only about fifteen active members. One day, one of these members PM'd me after I'd ranted about how boring my village was.

Turned out that he'd emigrated to Australia, where he now lived, posted from and gamed, etc. But growing up, he'd lived five houses from where I live now. His mum knew my Nan, and he'd gone to school with my Mum. Just goes to show, how small and precious the world can truly be :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I did! Nobody came... :cry:

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

The pleasure was all mine mate. I can't imagine coming all this way and not meet up. I'm pretty much in the same situation being smack bang in the middle of Europe and everyone else here either in England or the US.

It was a great time chatting, especially to someone who understands. Despite computers being everywhere there aren't too many IT type geeks around.

I'm definately looking forward to catching up again before I head back.:biggrin

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685