To take the 70-682 or take as 680/685 separately?

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by RichyV, Oct 12, 2011.

1. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

Title says it all really...

Looking through various threads it seems that forum members lean slightly towards the separate exam approach, which I have also been leaning towards.

Any one with any definitive arguments for or against?

The only reason I ask now is that I heard recently that the 685 has an almost full overlap with 680 BUT it's the exam approach that's different - with 'large scenario' type q's in the 685, and this has now put me back to thinking that the 682 would be best :rolleyes:

I have to book an exam for before the end of Dec, so no rush - just a little discussion may help in my final decision.

Thanks all....

Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...
  2. DryPlate

DryPlate Nibble Poster

Well, if you know the material you'll be fine taking the 70-682 and upgrading your MCDST. Two exams means twice the price and time to take them.

Certifications: CompTIA A+, MCDST, Apple Certified Associate
    WIP: CompTIA Network+, MCITP: EDST 7
  3. gosh1976

gosh1976 Kilobyte Poster

The only reason I took the 680 instead of going ahead with the 682 is that I had a free voucher that it was my understanding could not be used with the 682. It was about to expire so I decided to give the 680 a shot. If it wasn't for some sort of extenuating circumstance like that then I would say go for the upgrade.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCDST, CCENT, MCTS: Win 7 Configuring, CCNA
  4. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

Thanks so far...

I probably should mention that the reason I'm wavering is that I'm not 100% sure that I would get through the 'recommended' study for both 680 & 685 before my deadline UNLESS they do really overlap so much.

If not then I'll stick to my 1st idea of separate exams, but IF the only real difference is the depth of questioning in the exam itself then I feel I'd be OK for the 682 which, I believe, is split half & half between the two.

I'm about 1/3rd of the way through the 680 study material (MS Book & TrainSignal vids) - I do also have the Cybex 685/6 book so that I can take a look at that sometime later...

Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
  5. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I took the 680 rather than the 682 because I wasn't confident about passing the 680 and I was also trying to fit it in before I started a new job in an XP only environment so I didn't have enough time to tackle the 685 material as well. This proved to be a good move because I just scraped a pass the on the 680 the day before I started the job.
    Personally I would get through the 680 material, have a look at the 685 material, then decide which exam/s to take. They do look like they overlap a lot because the 685 seems to be all about troubleshooting.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  6. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

Thanks again...

682 booked for Dec 5th :helpread