To old at nearly 46 ?

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by dryman, Mar 13, 2007.

1. dryman

dryman New Member

First off all as am a newbie, a big hello to everybody, and i am so glad I stumbled onto this site.
    Hope you don't mind me jumping straight in, but here goes anyway. I am currently thinking of a career change into IT, I have limited knowledge, I have only a City & Guilds Microcomputers 2 Installation and PC Faults and Diagnostics, and have built my present PC, but I would like to train as a PC engineer, or somewhere along those lines. Maybe Compia A+ would be a good start, from what I have read on here so far, and I would hope one day to get up to an MCSE Certification Standard.
    But my main worry is my age, as I am not far off 46, and I am a little unsure if I've left it 10 years to late. However I am prepared to put in the learning, hardwork and effort required I hope to move on.
    I would welcome any advice, good, bad and not so good
    regards dryman.

Certifications: Non of recognition
    WIP: Thinking about Compia A+
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

Your question has been covered VERY recently in this thread - I'm sure you'll find what you need there. The short answer is: no, you're not too old. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome :)

I don't think you're too old. I thought I was trying to get into IT properly at my age, now I have even more incentive to do so.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  4. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Welcome to CF!:)

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

What is it they say?
    'You're only as old as the woman you feel'.

No, that can't be right...

There's a lot of paranoia in IT that it's a 'young person's game'.
    Not really true any more, because we've passed the generation gap where our dads can use a PC.

As long as you have the IT skills, a lot of employers will value your maturity and 'life skills'. Don't knock it.

The important thing is that you are old enough not to wet the bed at night, and young enough to ... well ... not wet the bed at night.

:biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  6. Headache

Headache Gigabyte Poster

Welcome, dryman. Good to meet you.

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Welcome to the forum - i started my cert track at the same age as you and completed MCSE when i was 49 so it's doable, if i can do it any old git can :p

Good luck!

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  8. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Well come to the the CF site and remember it can only be you to limit you. Age should not be an issue, cheerio:D

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  9. supag33k

supag33k Kilobyte Poster

Welcome to the forum!

Nope age is never an issue I reckon if a person is keen enough and puts in the hard yards.

I was in Telco sales and industrial design before I got into IT properly in my mid-30's

supag33k

Certifications: MCSE (NT4/2000/2003/Messaging), MCDBA
    WIP: CCNA, MCTS SQL, Exchange & Security stuff
  10. Stevie

Stevie Byte Poster

If you put in the hard work, studying, and everything else that goes with it, it will show an employer that your keen and really want the job. Besides, your 46 years young! :D

WIP: A+, Network+, Security+
  11. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Your not to old mate, as long as you know your stuff and work hard, you'll get there the same as the rest of us!

Welcome to CF and good luck! :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  12. Malnomates

Malnomates Megabyte Poster

Too old to join the under 45's club but thats about it..there's never a better time to learn than now as my granpappy always used to say so go for it my friend..8)

Certifications: A+ Network+
  13. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

First off, if you are on the UK there are anti-age discrimination laws preventing you from being rejected for any work on the grounds of age. Secondly, you are also part of the generation that has grown up with the beginnings of the widespread use of computer technology, so will have lived and be living in an environment where you will be familiar with the technology and will have encountered its use. You wouldn't believe how much of an advantage this gives you over the previous generation.

If you really want it, then go for it. I'm no where near 46 yet, but work with some people your age and also younger than me, and I find that it provides a well balanced work environment.

My big brother who has always been into chemistry, recently landed a nice job in the chemical industry in his early 40s! And a cousin in the US taking certs and doing very well in his mid- to late-40s.

Good luck!

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.
  14. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Welcome to the forums :D

and to answer your question - what they said

:iagree

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  15. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forum. :D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  16. dryman

dryman New Member

thanks so much for all the positive feedback, sorry i'm a few days behind with reply, I am knackered from work, I am definitely going to give it a go
    Thanks to all
    Pete

Certifications: Non of recognition
    WIP: Thinking about Compia A+
  17. Malnomates

Malnomates Megabyte Poster

Certifications: A+ Network+
  18. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Welcome, glad you joined.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security