to late to aim for MCSA or MCSE?

Discussion in 'MCAD / MCSD / MCPD' started by Davidh1819, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Davidh1819

Davidh1819 Nibble Poster

Hi guys i am a 1st line support technitian currently working on MCDST cert with my current rate of studying i predict i could be MCSE in 3-4 years if i get the relevent work experiance that is with MCSA and MCSE being old certs and they will eventualy die out is it worth aiming for MCSE? or aim for the more modern MS exams?

Certifications: A+ N+ MCP MCDST MCTS MCITP
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Considering many companies still have servers running Windows 2000 Server, how long do you think it'll be before the MCSE on 2003 becomes irrelevant (if ever)?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

They may not become irrelevant, but will Microsoft still have exams 3-4 years down the line to enable someone to become an MCSE?

Don't forget that each product has a lifecycle which Microsoft has set at 10 years on average:
    http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/

For Windows 2000, they have this to say:
    *REMINDER! Extended Support for Microsoft Windows 2000 Server and Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional Ends on July 13, 2010
    On July 13, 2010, Extended Support for Microsoft Windows 2000 Server and Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional will end. The products will no longer be publicly supported after this date. Self-Help Online Support will be available for both products after Extended Support ends.

But they do continue to mention:
    Mainstream Support to Extended Support on July 13, 2010; Extended Support for both these products will end on July 14, 2015. Windows Server 2008 customers will continue to receive Mainstream Support throughout the product's five-year Mainstream Support phase until July 9, 2013, as per the Microsoft Support Lifecycle policy.

Same goes for 2003 which Microsoft has decided to end support on the 14th of July 2015 (and then onto a further few years of extended support for eligible customers?).

Of course many will continue to run 2000 or 2003 way after the support lifecycle is over, but it's useful to keep these things in mind. Many still have NT4 servers here and there...

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  4. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

I would think about what version of Windows Server that companies will be using in 3-4 years time when you pass. If I was in your shoes I would probably opt for skipping the MCSA/MCSE and study Windows 2008 certs. But as Michael pointed out companies are still using 2000.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  5. BosonMichael

Considering they just retired the 2000 track last year, and considering there are 5 years between 2003 and 2008, I'd say there's a fair chance that the 2003 track will be around in 3 years.

In any case, it's far, far too early for David to be making a decision about which server-level exams he wants to study at this point in his career. When he gets 6 months of server admin experience under his belt, he should revisit the question... and if it happens sooner rather than later, I'd advise the 2003 track. The MCSE buzzword will be useful on your CV for years and years to come. Most employers haven't even heard of the MCITP.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  6. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Absolutely agree with Michael. Its too early to decide which path David should take as he hasn't passed the MCDST yet. I always keep an eye on the job sites and MCITP doesn't bring you up a quarter of the results MCSE will in the keyword search. What further complicates the searching process for a recruiter is the MCITP: X suffix. The difference in the amount of study to achieve MCITP: EST and MCITP: EA is vast. A recruiter typing in MCITP is therefore going to turn up people who could potentially have different skill sets.

David, would/could you consider stepping the pace of your study up?

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  7. michael78

I agree that a lot of employers don't know what MCITP are but would get around that by putting in brackets Win 2008 MCSA/MCSE equivalent on my CV. Again I would agree in getting your MCDST out of the way first and then think about it then as the MCSE is a long term commitment.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
  8. BosonMichael

It's not the pace of the study that needs to be stepped up... it's the experience level with Server 2003 and/or Server 2008 that needs to be focused on. Study doesn't automagically enable you to get the experience needed to make the MCSE/MCITP worthwhile.

9. BosonMichael

But... it's not exactly equivalent to the MCSA/MCSE. Put it on your CV if you must... I simply disagree with the statement. Plus, Microsoft has precise restrictions on the use of their acronym... I wouldn't let them see it.

10. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Yeah thats fair. I didn't actually mean it how I've come across, hurry up and dive into the hardcore stuff. I meant it it more get your MCDST apply for a 2nd line etc. Start on 70-270 or 70-620 etc. Fair enough pulling me on what I wrote tho. Jim

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  11. BosonMichael

Props. :thumbleft

12. Davidh1819

Davidh1819 Nibble Poster

cheers for the advice guys

there is a server 2003 in my office which i configure active directory for and reboot exchange services from time to time but the trouble shooting side of it goes to the 3rd line theres only two of use wayne is 3rd and 2nd line im 1st line but cary out the duties of 2nd line when he is not it

Certifications: A+ N+ MCP MCDST MCTS MCITP
  13. michael78

At the end of the day mate only you will know where you want your career to go. Whilst MCSA/MCSE are the buzz words for agencies and employers at present I think it will change in a few years when they get their heads out of their backside and stop thinking the 2008 certs don't exist. All I can say is try to think of what companies are going to be using in years to come and I would say 2008 will start filtering through to medium/large companies in a big way. Smaller companies are probably going to stick with what they have for a lot longer. If your planning on staying put for a good while look at what your company has historically done in the past with IT investment and it might give you an idea of what it is likely to do in the next 2-3 years with their infrastructure and that should pretty much tell you what route to study.

As pointed out get your MCDST out of the way first before jumping in with server exams.